lights on QT - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
lights on QT

From what I've read, lights should only be on in a QT, to monitor a fish(es), and/or feedings....to lower stress.

However, wouldn't this train the fish, for when they get to the display tank, that lights only mean this?

Is it ok to have the lights on the QT on a timer, such as the display tank?

20G long / Finnex Planted + / Marineland C-160 / Tunze Regulator / Fluval Bubble Counter / Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater / Koralia 240 / Rhinox Drop Checker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig44 View Post
From what I've read, lights should only be on in a QT, to monitor a fish(es), and/or feedings....to lower stress.

However, wouldn't this train the fish, for when they get to the display tank, that lights only mean this?

Is it ok to have the lights on the QT on a timer, such as the display tank?
I'm sure it's fine to run a light, I doubt a light would cause a lot of stress, assuming you have some sort of cover they can hide out in if need be.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"
My Dirted 10 Gallon High Tech:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Location: Southern Tier of Central New York, USA (Finger Lakes Region)
To some degree, lights are more for us and plants then fish as fish (in the wild) adapt to some pretty dark underwater conditions. Even in the tropics like the Amazon, it can be pretty dim in the river under the tree canopy. However, like all creatures great and small, fish have a circadian rhythm that is best maintained in a quarantine tank to better ensure a stress free environment. In this regard, I also believe that it's very important to have a period of total darkness to simulate night time. So yes, put the light(s) on a timer.
As mentioned, it's also a good idea to have plants/cover to aid in the fish feeling safe.

My website and Blog:

-

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I never keep a light on my QT. It's one less thing to plug in and I think the fish are calmer if it is dim. I might hold my desk lamp near or use headlamp, flashlight to check the fish if the room isn't bright enough. Longest I ever had a fish in QT was 5 weeks. They learned very quickly what cues signaled feeding time in the main tank, once they were with the larger group.

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
My QT is for plants and for fish. It has a light that I leave on with the main tank lights (same timer). When i start QT I toss a bunch of plants in, and a lot of floaters, helps with the cycle and gives the fish hiding places; and should QT go south, I can always toss the plants and add new ones in the next round.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Some depends on what fish and why they are in QT. If they are sick and there to recover. Less light relieves stress for many. Also having hiding is good. But if it is a bunch of willy -nilly types that have a pretty low thought process, lights may not mean much. As for the "training", it doesn't last long if they get back in a main tank and everybody else is eating, they eat!
But it is almost always a good idea to ask why we are doing things. Many times like turning on the lights is not what the fish want but what we use to see them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode