I'm getting a used/resealed tank- is this one safe?? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By lksdrinker
  • 2 Post By mgeorges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm getting a used/resealed tank- is this one safe??

So I just found on craigslist a 60 gallon tank on a nice solid wood stand it is exactly the dimensions I have been wanting to fit into a basement space I have.

My concern- its a Marineland tank and I know people've seen them fail. This guy had the tank 2 weeks- got it from a neighbor- and it started leaking from the bottom seam at 2 points. He and his dad stripped the silicone and resealed all the inside seams- but not the outside or between the glass panes. The silicone spread looks ample and is wide as my thumb. He said they tested it filled with water for 30 min and saw no leaks, before listing.

I insisted they part fill it again so I can see for myself. It held water fine while I was there. I didn't see any bubbles inside the sealant or loose edges where it meets the glass. They are leaving the water in until I go back in 2 hours- if it is still not leaking at that point, is it a good enough test. Can I trust this won't bust open on me later on? I think it looks like they did a proper job but I am not positive how to judge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 04:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
So I just found on craigslist a 60 gallon tank on a nice solid wood stand it is exactly the dimensions I have been wanting to fit into a basement space I have.

My concern- its a Marineland tank and I know people've seen them fail. This guy had the tank 2 weeks- got it from a neighbor- and it started leaking from the bottom seam at 2 points. He and his dad stripped the silicone and resealed all the inside seams- but not the outside or between the glass panes. The silicone spread looks ample and is wide as my thumb. He said they tested it filled with water for 30 min and saw no leaks, before listing.

I insisted they part fill it again so I can see for myself. It held water fine while I was there. I didn't see any bubbles inside the sealant or loose edges where it meets the glass. They are leaving the water in until I go back in 2 hours- if it is still not leaking at that point, is it a good enough test. Can I trust this won't bust open on me later on? I think it looks like they did a proper job but I am not positive how to judge.
second hand aquariums are always a risk. most of the aquariums ever owned were bought used on Craigslist. I always reseal my tanks and leak test them for at least a week. some leaks maybe be very slow and might not be noticeable for a while and could eventually get worse. so far I haven't had any tanks fail that I got on Craigslist

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
why are they getting rid of it after 2 weeks if they did all that work already? If they're asking anymore than roughly $20 I think I'd pass.
vanish and vanish like this.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 05:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Is there water damage to the stand? Particleboard stand may have disintegrated. If you have to worry about a reseal, and build a new stand, may not be worth it.

Tanks leak and break because of bad stands.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It's a solid pine wood stand. I didn't see any sign of water damage.

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
It's the seal that is between the glass panes that is really the important one. It's what gives the tank its integrity.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
It's the seal that is between the glass panes that is really the important one. It's what gives the tank its integrity.
Totally agree!

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

-
-
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The silicone where glass meets at corners looks untouched, I know they didn't disassemble the whole thing. Gah, think I made a bad decision acquiring this- the lighting was poor where i viewed it and it was turned around- the side I could see well looked ok. Got it home and took a better look this morning. The other side- where leaks must have been- one long side of bottom edge- appears that silicone was spread thick over the original seam. They didn't strip the old silicone off like told me. Now I'm afraid to fill it up at all.

Several weeks before it is warm enough I can leave it outside few days in a row to do a serious test. I'm upset at myself for paying for this.

Small upside is my husband really likes the way it looks in our basement niche. He is encouraging me to keep it- most interest I've ever seen him show of my hobby- but I am feeling very despondent at my mistake. I don't trust I can do a good enough job to reseal myself....

Guess I will take some pics and show you guys what I mean.

|
|
|
|
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Plenty of YouTube tutorials that can give you a walk through on resealing/starting from scratch with that bad boy. Check out King of DIY on YouTube, I know he'll have a video or two on this.
AbbeysDad and AbbeysDad like this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's exactly what the previous owner did- found out it leaked, got scared of keeping it, patched it up via youtube tutorial so could sell and get it off his hands. I don't know that I'd do much better? having no experience re-sealing a tank

It does look great in the nook, tho hard for me to get a photo its at end of hallway I can't get a good distance

Other issue is the silicone running up the inside corners where walls meet, is black, and around the bottom is clear. So they didn't reseal all eight seams. That's a problem, right?

Sigh. Let's not talk about the fact I spent too much on it. I just need to figure out where to go from here. Maybe I will move the tank- someone with snakes might want it- keep the stand and find a replacement tank. Except I've never seen one these dimensions for sale anywhere (why I got excited when I saw it) and it's 11 yrs old... I found the sticker date.

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
That's exactly what the previous owner did- found out it leaked, got scared of keeping it, patched it up via youtube tutorial so could sell and get it off his hands. I don't know that I'd do much better? having no experience re-sealing a tank

It does look great in the nook, tho hard for me to get a photo its at end of hallway I can't get a good distance

Other issue is the silicone running up the inside corners where walls meet, is black, and around the bottom is clear. So they didn't reseal all eight seams. That's a problem, right?

Sigh. Let's not talk about the fact I spent too much on it. I just need to figure out where to go from here. Maybe I will move the tank- someone with snakes might want it- keep the stand and find a replacement tank. Except I've never seen one these dimensions for sale anywhere (why I got excited when I saw it) and it's 11 yrs old... I found the sticker date.

Well from the looks of those pictures, the person who attempted the fix did not "reseal" the tank. They just laid new silicone on top of the problem area. So if you're willing to do the research and the work a proper reseal may work out alright.

I agree the tank does look good in that nook.....but you dont have much room for error there either. I dont think I see enough room behind the tank for any HOB filter or anything of that nature. Also wonder if there is even enough room for tubing to go between tank and wall if you were to use a canister filter?

I know the feeling of finding those things that seem pretty rare; but if one person has it they are out there to be found! Looks like petsmart carries the 60 gallon tank....https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-...e-5115757.html

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Well from the looks of those pictures, the person who attempted the fix did not "reseal" the tank. They just laid new silicone on top of the problem area......
That is exactly what I thought, when I got a closer look at it. Also, on further inspection the top rim on one side is seriously scraped up, and the bottom corner of trim on other end has a chip- in my mind that indicates the tank got bumped, shoved against something, or had an impact. Makes me worried it was weakened on the bottom seam from rough handling.

Quote:
I agree the tank does look good in that nook.....but you dont have much room for error there either. I dont think I see enough room behind the tank for any HOB filter or anything of that nature. Also wonder if there is even enough room for tubing to go between tank and wall if you were to use a canister filter?
There's exactly 1.75" between tank and wall, and the back of stand is open. I was planning to use a canister. Granted it's still tight to work around and I'm also nervous that the outlet is directly behind the tank. Is there a way to shield an outlet from drips/splashes?

Quote:
I know the feeling of finding those things that seem pretty rare; but if one person has it they are out there to be found! Looks like petsmart carries the 60 gallon tank....https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-...e-5115757.html
I've seen that one at my local chain. I don't like the stand it's on- any stand with legs or feet I think is going to dent my flooring over time. I'd feel better if the entire bottom edge of stand was flush with floor. Heartland tanks I see lots of bad reviews with bottom seam giving way. This older tank seemed a safer bet.

But maybe I will eat my loss, try and find another 10yr 60g in better shape to go on the stand. Or get a 50H for the same space- it's still big enough for the fish I want and will be easier to work around leaving room on the sides...

Um, I don't really trust myself to attempt the reseal. I'm good with plants, not so much the mechanical stuff. I have used AQ sealant to fix cracked fitting for an HOB, to make a hinged lid out of two sheets of glass, and more recently to try and patch up a broken ceramic planter outside. My lid worked out ok. My fixes on the HOB fitting and the planter leaked. I don't want to risk failing with 60g of water behind it....

I feel awful stupid for buying the thing now. Especially since someone advised me against it.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode