DIY Lid Options for 3 gallon bowl that won't affect lighting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Lid Options for 3 gallon bowl that won't affect lighting

Hey all!

I have a planted 3g bowl that will house shrimp and a few snails once cycled (getting close!!), but I understand that shrimp can sometimes be jumpers and snails will certainly explore the outer reaches of their environment.

Therefore, I'm looking for a good 'lid' solution for the bowl.

I'm sort of at a loss at what to do at the moment. I don't want to seal it, so covering with glass or acrylic won't be an option.

I need to ensure my light still penetrates through to the plants efficiently, so I'm not sure if using some sort of screen material will be okay?

Has anyone successfully made a lid or cover for a bowl shaped tank that still lets light through?

Any tips are appreciated!

(Image of bowl for those interested)

Bump: Side note - the Java Fern poking out of the top has since submerged itself. Not plants will be over the rim.

My best solution at the moment is to use an embroidery hoop (like this and putting a screen/mesh material inside of it.

My only concern with that is that I'm going to inadvertently diffuse my light source. Does anyone have experience with using mesh or screen over their tanks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Cherry shrimp shouldn't jump unless the water parameters are bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
Cherry shrimp shouldn't jump unless the water parameters are bad.
I may have been misled then!

I'm putting some MTS in there too. Are those explorers?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brancaster View Post
I may have been misled then!

I'm putting some MTS in there too. Are those explorers?
They come up to the water line, but I've never seen them go any farther. I've got about 7 million of them, so I think I would have seen it, but you never know. I keep an open lidded jar full of them next to one of my tanks, and once every couple days take it down to my loaches. Never had one even come close to the lip of the jar.

|
|
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
They come up to the water line, but I've never seen them go any farther. I've got about 7 million of them, so I think I would have seen it, but you never know. I keep an open lidded jar full of them next to one of my tanks, and once every couple days take it down to my loaches. Never had one even come close to the lip of the jar.
Nice! Thanks for the info.

I'd much rather NOT have a lid if I don't have to, so this is good news.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brancaster View Post
Nice! Thanks for the info.

I'd much rather NOT have a lid if I don't have to, so this is good news.
With smaller systems it's not a terrible idea to have it at least partially covered to prevent evaporation but you should be fine as it is. Amano shrimp and ghost shrimp can sometimes jump but cherry shrimp can't really support their own body weights out of water.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
With smaller systems it's not a terrible idea to have it at least partially covered to prevent evaporation but you should be fine as it is. Amano shrimp and ghost shrimp can sometimes jump but cherry shrimp can't really support their own body weights out of water.

Good point.

I do intend to do a weekly partial water change once everything is cycled and during the last two weeks itís only dropped about 1/2Ē each week with a sponge filter bubbling outflow at the top, so I think Iíll be good with evaporation.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
When I was newly back in the hobby, I kept bettas in one-gallon bowls for a year until I got a tank. I used the plastic lid off a container from the supermarket bakery- made holes in it for air to get in. Putting pothos stems thru the holes was a plus. Granted it looks kinda cheap, but it did the job.

|
|
|
|
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:01 AM
Banned

A sheet of clear acrylic will work it is as transparent as glass or better. A thickness of 1/8" will not bend and can take some load.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode