20g Long Planted Tank Filter Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
20g Long Planted Tank Filter Questions

Greetings fellow planted tank enthusiasts!

Iíve decided recently to start up a 20g long, male-only, fancy guppy tank, and could use some advice based upon the situation Iím in. Iíve (hopefully) attached some pictures for you to view.

In regards to the tank itself, I planned to do a nicely planted aquascape with the following:

-Potting soil substrate capped with Black Diamond/Black Beauty Blasting Sand

-Planned plants are: Anubias for foreground, Java fern and Amazon sword for Verticality, and Frogbit for floaters (Plant suggestions are welcome, but if possible Iíd prefer those that are purely green so the Guppies will be the main focal point with their color.)

-I may consider setting up a CO2 injection, but that would be at a later point in time. In the meantime, I would be dosing with Excel. (Speaking of which, are there any carpet plants that could do well with just doses of CO2?)

-The tank itself has a glass canopy, to prevent jumpers and to prevent water residue on the light source.

Now that thatís out of the way, my dilemma comes in the form of the filter. Currently for my 10g and 37g tanks, I have Aquaclear filters, usually twice the size of the tank. However, the placement of the tank causes the tank to be viewed from both the front and the back, with the back side of the tank facing the front entrance. Looking at my options, I have the choice of internal sponge filters, or internal canister filters, although Iím leaning toward the sponge filter option.

Considering my lack of experience with either, would 1-2 sponge filters suffice for the bioload? Would not having the carbon affect the clarity of the water?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180226_001044_1519685122506.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	833289  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180226_001028_1519685154602.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	833297  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Frankly you don't need to worry about carbon, especially in a planted tank, as in most planted tanks carbon isn't run cuz it takes out a lot of fertilizers in the water. If you have space underneath you can always look to put a canister filter under there. If not then there's nothing wrong with sponge filters. Simple as they may be, they really do get the job done. As for carpet plants, they really don't do well without co2 injection. However dwarf sag would work, only thing you gotta watch is your light intensity. too low and the sag will grow tall. They may not propagate as fast but they can work. You could always try some s.repens and various crypts. Since you're going dirted (which I do myself) it won't limit you too much. I would say use the anubias to put on your hardscape rather than use it as the foreground. I tried excel back when I first started, and for it was meh, not that much difference without it. Check out the low tech forum here to help give an idea of what you like, because from how you described it, this tank will be in the low tech category. None the less you can still get good scapes tho.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 07:51 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Nothing wrong with sponges but they are hard to hide in the tank. You could use an HOB at the left end of the tank, to make it less visible.I would personally use a cannister under the tank and put a poster / picture against the stand. In the end, you either end up with a bunch of power cords / airline tubing hanging over the side with a noisy air pump or canister filter hoses.

Anyways, I would re-think an Amazon Sword in 20 long. The sword easily gets to 24" all the way around.

BTW, welcome to TPT.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode