First planted tank ADA mini L - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First planted tank ADA mini L

So basically I'm really new to the whole planted aquarium scene, but I broke down my nanoreef and decided I HAD to have a planted tank. I'm looking for some advice on how to start it up. What did you guys wish you did differently the first time around? Any advice is appreciated

Here's what I have so far:

ADA mini L cube garden
Ryuoh stones
Home depot 27w full spectrum desk lamp for dry start and an archaea 36w Clip on for once the tank is filled
Lily pipes for filter
Paintball Co2 setup(Co2 regulator with solenoid, 20oz paintball tank, adapter, and )
Eheim 2213 canister filter
ADA aquasoil amazonia I
Hydor in line heater
DIY stand(or I guess I should say DIB do-it-by boyfriend)

Planted yesterday with 7 pots of HC and I plan on doing the dry start method for several weeks.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any advice about the DSM. Right now I have it covered with Saran wrap with the water level right at/below the top of the substrate.

Last edited by mandaleigh2; 01-18-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: New updates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lighting for DSM

What does everyone think about lighting for a dry start method with HC? I planned on using my 27w desk lamp for the whole dry start, but my archaea 36w comes tomorrow. Which light should I use?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (24/100%)
Well first let me say looks great so far, and in my opinion i would probably use the 36W.
When i started my shrimp tank i was using the stock 24w light and growth was sooooooo slow, then i upped to 36w and within days i was seeing a burst of growth.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:10 AM
Algae Grower

awesome tank! i love the lay out, 7 pots is A LOT!!! i used 7 for my 20 gal, you may want to separate some of the clumps and thin them out, that way they'll cover more ground and they'll grow out faster. i clumped large like you did and have a lot of die off and its only into the 3rd week. i was too lazy to spread them out and ended up paying for it as far as the light, the desk lamp will give you more heat/humidity than the archaea so that'll help in the process as well, you're off to a good start, cant wait to see what its like in a few weeks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 03:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Looks great! Considering that your tank has a substrate slope you should really tilt your tank so that the water level is even with the substrate. Other than that, great job!

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Maybe I'll break up some of the patches tonight, I bought way to much HC and we got a little bored two hours into planting and left some of the clusters a little large.

My tank is sloped about 3 or 4 inches you just can't tell in the photos hah. Thanks for the tip though rickztahone.
PS-your discus are really lovely I wish I had room for a tank like that. I'm officially jealous!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Your tank is pretty much identical to my Mini-L that I'm doing a dry start with (HC, iwagumi, Ryuoh stones, AS Amazonia, Eheim 2213, Archae light, Hydor ETH, etc.)

Your HC planting looks great. Don't bother doing anything to it. Some will initially die off in the transition anyways so there's not much you can do. Looking at it, the carpet will probably completely fill in within a month.

And also, I'd switch to the new light when it comes in.

Tony

My

and my

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hah your tank thread was kind of an inspiration for what I was looking for and I was happy to see someone experienced with the same equipment as me. Those stones you have in your Mini M are amazing by the way
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
Looks like a great start! Did you find the HC locally?

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah someone from SCAPE sold it to me for $4 a pot. HEY you're from Upland too!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:06 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandaleigh2 View Post
Yeah someone from SCAPE sold it to me for $4 a pot. HEY you're from Upland too!
Yeah, that's why I was asking. I saw a pot at Jans but was gone the next time I went... Also looking for some Rummy Nose Tetras if you know of any?

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This other guy on scape bought the last pot of HC at Jans, but I think they get shipments in on some tuesdays.

As for the Rummy Nose Tetras, I think I saw some at 405 Tropical fish in Westminster maybe you could give them a call. There's another store I think I saw them at in the OC. It's a shame that Total Tropical Fish closed :/
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandaleigh2 View Post
It's a shame that Total Tropical Fish closed :/
Agreed

Great looking tank though, I bought hc from eric too...and also bought way too much haha its cool to have a another hobbyist nearby

Eheim Pimp #447
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I'm super excited to finally have a planted tank. You live in Claremont, do you ever go to Pizza n' Such to eat?
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
yeah I eat there every once in a while with friends... garlic cheese toast yumm haha

Eheim Pimp #447

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode