Water Portion Of Paludarium Ecosystem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water Portion Of Paludarium Ecosystem

Video of tank. 1:16-1:45 is a close up on water portion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6vRK6qJIJ4&hd=1

Hey guys, I have been working on this Paludarium for awhile now. It is in a 40 gallon tank, recently upgraded from a 10. I need your aquatic knowledge, as I am trying to create a basically self sustaining ecosystem minus crickets for the frogs, and water for evaporation. So what would you do to help make a stable ecosystem?

Notes - For the water portion I believe I have 2 green cobomba plants, and one plant of an unknown name. I introduced some algae from our pond, but that hasn't taken off yet as I only added that yesterday.

Tank - 40 gallon Paludarium

Substrate - thin layer of turtle pebbles, then an inch and a half - 2 inches of fish rocks.

Filtration - 55 gallon waterfall filter

Pets - 3 fire bellied toads

Lighting - one 13 watt 6500k CFL

Temperature - anywhere from 67-75 degrees Fahrenheit. Warmer during day, cooler at night.

Photo Period - 10-12 hours of light a day

Other: I have 3 lucky bamboo plants above water to help take care of water nitrates, as well as 3 peacock fern plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I don't have any experience with a paludarium but in an aquarium, lots of plants, small fauna, low/medium light and small doses of nutrients for the plants make a stable environment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Though we try to the best of our abilities, our small aquariums are unable to simulate nature and the processes that 'balance' ecosystems in the long term.

I too lack alot of experience with these systems, but if you are feeding live food I would guess that some waste will build up over time. I would suggest that because of this you do occosional water changes. Invest in a gravel cleaner and root around in the substrate a bit and I guarentee you are gonna find it is full of pure vile nastiness in no time.

Additionally, I wouldn't bother trying to introduce any algae to the system, over time it has a way of finding its way in there weather you want it or not.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

IMO you would need A LOT more plants to not have to worry about nitrates building up. Especially since you hardly have any water volume to work with.

Also, 13 watts of light on a 40 gal tank seems pretty low to get the fast growth that you'll need if you want the plants to keep the water clean for you.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the opinions!

mmelnick, its really 13 watts for probably a 5 gallon long, because there is really not a whole lot of water in there. I don't know whats going to happen lol. I am pretty new to this stuff, but I do know that the frogs are really small only about 1 inch long. and they don't produce a large amount of waste. I guess ill be doing water changes and the regular practice (: no biggy. I wonder if there is any kind of fish I could put in there that would help take care of the frog poo.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode