PMDD Premix from Gregwatson.com - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
PMDD Premix from Gregwatson.com

I just got this stuff in the mail - but I cannot find instructions on how much of the mix to add to how much water to get my stock solution.. help would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 02:14 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
What did you buy Lionel, and what size is your aquarium?

Take a look at this:

http://www.csd.net/%7Ecgadd/aqua/art...osage_calc.htm

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

I bought the PMDD premix with planted CSM+B
it's a 15 gallon tank. 8WPG with DIY CO2.
120w PC bulbs, 10k

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
if you bought the PMDD pre-mix with plantex....

I believe 4 tablespoons and 500ml of water....and mix it together well....

Ehiem Pimp # 88
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Mixing it right

I bought the stuff and just got it last week. I had posted the same question earlier today.

I did go back to the greggwatson. com site and checked out the "roll your own" article which does lead you to another site that has the mixtures for PMDD.

It includes the CSM+B KNO3 K2SO4 and Magnesium. It gives the amounts per Tablespoon to water for all the ingredients.

All I can do is to say go back to the source to find your answers!!!

Here is the link to the article:
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 03:17 PM
sly

Did anyone figure out how to create a solution yet for the PDMM Pre-Mix?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISA
if you bought the PMDD pre-mix with plantex....

I believe 4 tablespoons and 500ml of water....and mix it together well....

4 tablespoons in 500ml or 1 teaspoon in 167 ml of water. But how much to dose per day.

I am sure it depends on the load/water parameters, but is there some general guideline like Xml per gallon with + or - based on the load?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
If it were me I would mix it 2Tbsp/250ml dose about 5ml every other day,( for a 15g 8wpg). dose hard keep a keen eye on
A: plant growth
B:algae growth
C: water clarity
You got some learning to do, be patient, use common sense, learn the plant's need's!
and adjust accordingly, You will definitley need some KH2P04 or Fleet because PMDD does not contain any!!!! and it is much needed for plant uptake!
PMDD is not the best way to go.. you guy's should ask before you buy that, even gregwatson does not recommend it, but he will sell it to you..
You do not have total control over what you are dosing with PMDD, I talked with him about this not long ago, he said he tried to pull off his site a number of time's and the newbie's have a fit...Haha

Craig

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 02:08 AM
Planted Member

Anyone else ??
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
What kind of answer are you looking for?

Craig

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
I bought all my things separately and dose them separately. Like WfxXx said, it really depends on your tank. You'll find your own answers when you use test kits.

Taken down

Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk-sd
Anyone else ??
I'll second WfxXx's answer on that one. I did order and used the PMDD Pre-Mix. 2 Tbsp/250ml is what I was mixing. Dosing 5ml every second day in a 20G/3WPG with DIY CO2 @ around 20ppm. I did not have to had PO4 as my fishload was heavy enough to maintain 1-2ppm.
I did get great plant growth, slight great spot algae on the anubias and microswords. Water stayed nice and clear.
The things I did not like were, one of the ingredient was really hard/slow to disolve, sometime taking as much as 2-3 days ( mix using warm/hot water, shaking the bottle 3-4 times a day) and the big one is no real control on what your dosing.(ie: adding NO3 every 2 days even if you did not need it)
I have since ordered and used all the separate ingredients. IMHO this is a much better way to control your nutrient levels.
Andy
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 04:37 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ming
I bought all my things separately and dose them separately. Like WfxXx said, it really depends on your tank. You'll find your own answers when you use test kits.
According to "wx" you should not be using PMDD at all (not just Pre-mix).

"PMDD is not the best way to go.. you guy's should ask before you buy that, even gregwatson does not recommend it, but he will sell it to you....."

A was little confused there !!

BTW I do not put anything in the tank that I cannot test. If I did not follow that rule, my thousands of dollars on my reef would come crashing down.

Andy thanks for clarifying the distinction between PMDD and PMDD Pre-Mix. I will order everything separately.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 08:20 AM

A couple of comments on my experience. Like some of you, I purchased the PMDD Premix before really knowing what I was getting myself into. And as a result, I have 4 lbs of Premix that I need to use somehow or just throw away.

I have a 46G bowfront tank with 192 watts of CF lighting, pH controlled CO2 injection. Having read somewhere (don't recall where any more, probably Estimative Index) that you can use nitrate as a marker for the major nutrients, I decided to try dosing the Premix to get my nitrate up to approx. 10 ppm with each major water change (change 50% of the water each week). Our tap water here seems to contain around 5 ppm nitrate so I knew that I was going to get a bit of excess but wasn't particularly worried about it. I dumped 2 tsp of the Premix into a small Minute Maid plastic bottle, added half of the bottle's volume in water, and shook vigorously to get the powder to mix well, and then dumped into the tank. I went like this for about 2-3 wks - decent growth on my stem plants (in particular, the Elodea) but nothing to write home about. Some BBA started to appear on my slower growing plants and on the gravel. After the realization that PMDD Premix doesn't contain phosphate and that my bioload while on the higher side wasn't supplying enough phosphate for the tank (phosphate level would drop to 0 right before the water change), I decided to supplement with phosphate in addition to the Premix. After buying some potassium phosphate from Greg, I created a concentrate such that 2 cc would add 1 ppm to my tank and placed this in a medicine bottle with a syringe draw port attached so I could measure out the liquid precisely.

After having added the phosphate in addition to my usual Premix addition after a water change, I went away for a week and came back. To my delight, I discovered that the growth in my tank during the week had been explosive - all plants had grown considerably with all my stem plants noticeably taller, bushier, my swords with increased root growth and leaf production, and my Glosso and my E. tenellus *finally* sending off runners. The BBA seems to be much better as well (in particular, seems to be dying off of the gravel).

So in a nutshell, this is my extremely simple system - once a week dosing of PMDD macros/micros/phosphate. The next step will be experimenting with mid-week dosing to see if more additions continue to improve growth of plants (though not sure if I can handle more vigorous growth - having enough problem with keeping up with the pruning of the plants).

FWIW

Spleen
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 02:44 PM
sly

Thanks for the responses!

I too am a newb and bought the premix before consulting the forum.

I think i'll dose once a week with phosphate (Fleet enema) and see what the result is.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode