need help setting new nano tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
need help setting new nano tank

I want to set up a small tank. i was wondering if i can have a fully planted tank with lots of moss, rotala and maybe a foreground of dwarf hair grass using only sand as the substrate.

I have Pfertz high tech+ (N+p+k+m+ root tabs), a co2 tank with diffuser, aqua clear filter and maybe a 37 watt archaea power compact lamp.

I do not like using aquasoil. i like sand because it's easy and not messy.

I want my tank looking similar to this,

Credit to armedbiggiet for the nice tank

any help appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:00 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
How small an aquarium are you wishing to set up?

With your current light, you could probably set up an ADA Mini-M with no problem. As long as kept up with your fertilization regimen (preferably EI), and maintain a steady CO2 level, you should have no problems.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a rimless standard sized ten gallon tank. needs more light?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

and what is EI? lol
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 08:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
You should be fine with that amount of light and plant choices. You can go with a flourite black sand substrate if you like the sand look. In combination of the root tabs you should be fine. And for EI dosing there is a sticky on it if you just search for it. Its basically a fert dosing schedule.

USMC SGT TYPE
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just got a free power compact fixture from my buddy. it was used for a reef tank and has one 10k and one 50/50. It's two straight pin 18watt lamps. im having trouble finding 67K replacement to use for my plants. any websites?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

are these lights any good for plants?

http://www.jbjnanocubes.com/contents/en-us/p10553.html
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 11:42 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
If the pins fit (i.e. you have a straight pin fixture and not a quad pin fixture, then it should be fine.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Everything you want to accomplish seems feasible with the equipment you have. I don't have much experience with liquid NPK but recently started dosing rootmedic NPK and micros in my 60-p and suspect that all will be fine. I have ADA AS in my planted tanks and this gives me quite a bit if flexibility on dosing because it is so rich in nutrients. If you keep up with using root tabs at the recommend shedule I think sand will be fine for the plants you listed.

You said you have a co2 diffuser so I'm going to assume it's a glass one w/ceramic disk. These can be a pain but if you place it under your spray bar or close enough to the intake so that it gets sucked up by the filter for even more mixing with water you should be okay. You will just need to make sure you don't let water levels get too low and allow much splashing from the filter outflow entering the tank.

Feel free to browse my mini-m journal. There is a few years of bad choices and certainly enough that I'm sure you will find something useful.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode