Dwarf Hairgrass? Please advise! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dwarf Hairgrass? Please advise!

I'm building out a (PIcotope) 3G tank, in which I plan to keep a betta. I want it moderately planted and am looking at Dwarf Hairgrass for a 'carpet' effect.

My LFS said they couldn't help me, as what they bought as 'Dwarf' turned out to be the full-sized variety. I looked at ebay and found these ads from 'make_it_green' -- but they show it as 5-7"....! Is this really the 'dwarf' version. If so, can it be trimmed down -- I'm thinking about 1" would be good. If this isn't the real one, do you know where I could get it?

Does anyone have thoughts on whether Dwarf HG is right for my tank? It's just 3G and has a little 9W 'hang-over' type light...?

Please do share your wisdom and experiences...

GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It's hard to give you exact information without knowing which variety they're specifically selling. The three plants sold under the name dwarf hairgrass from shortest to tallest are: Eleocharis belem, E. parvula, and E. acicularis. The only one suitable for a carpet in a tank that small is E. belem, but even that is pushing it. Personally, I wouldn't use any DHG for your tank size.

If you can keep up with regular trimming, HC can be a nice alternative. I'm not sure how well it'll fare under only 9W of light, though.

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and my

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Look for "Dwarf Hairgrass Belem" I think thats the smallest version. I have it in one of my tanks and its growing well with a max length of about 1.5".... Of course light intensity will alter final growth lengths for most plants. The tank I have it in is a pressurized Co2 High-Light setup.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 03:33 AM
Algae Grower

I would avoid the "dwarf" hairgrass from e-bay I ordered some and it arrived at a whopping 15" in height...

You might have better luck than I did I guess but I just thought I would share my experience.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidiscus View Post
I would avoid the "dwarf" hairgrass from e-bay I ordered some and it arrived at a whopping 15" in height...

You might have better luck than I did I guess but I just thought I would share my experience.
This would be an example of 'not so dwarf' hair grass. But as David said, the people selling on ebay often don't know what they really have. You will probably get hairgrass, but they will be oblivious as to the species.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, all!

Thanks for your input!!

TLE041, by 'HC', I take it you mean Hemianthus Callitrichoides? I'll check it out..

TLE and Gitmoe, I'll look out for Belem. Davidiscus, that's what I was afraid of....

GB
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Algae Grower

I used DHG in my 5 gal betta tank and it turned out to be a better back ground than a ground cover. Even the true dwarf grass gets a good 2 to 3 inches tall. Also if you use it you may want to put a barrier of some kind to keep it out where you dont want it to spread. It doesnt take long to take over a small tank. Anyway hope that helps you some!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
My dwarf hair grass or whatever it's called stays about 1-3 inches. Now I do have one bunch that I haven't touched(pruned) in a few years and it's a good 5-6 inches and thick and I have it in the corner which looks cool I think.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Trimming DHG

So if it gets too long, can one trim it?

GB
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbose View Post
So if it gets too long, can one trim it?

GB
Yep, you can "mow the lawn" to whatever length you want. It actually grows faster after a haircut.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode