Best place to buy a 48" long rimless tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Best place to buy a 48" long rimless tank

I'm looking to replace my 55g tank with a rimless tank. The perfect tank would be about 65 gallons 48x18x18. Where would be the best place to buy something like this? It doesn't have to be exactly those dimensions, just something close. I have a stand that will hold a footprint of 48x18, so it can't be bigger than that.

I know that ADA 120p is right up my alley, but I'm having a hard time with the price and from what I hear, they're going up .

Glasscages.com is another option, but I'm in Sacramento and the closest place they deliver to is LA.

Any other options?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I know this might not help, but for me, I went with the 90P because I knew I would just regret not spending the extra couple hundred for what I really wanted. I think all other rimless tanks pale in comparison to ADA nature brand. JMO. So if it's a matter of saving for a little longer, at least you know you'll have a tank that you'll be happy with for as long as it lasts. If the money isn't on the horizon or your in a time crunch then, I would check out perfecto. They supply through LFS's and they make the second best rimless I've seen with good silicone work and starphire glass. Their glass cutting and silicone are superior to GC but you pay for it, though not as much as ADA.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 02:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Since this is a obvious special display tank, my reaction would be to go with the ADA 120p, although I agree the price of the tank is a bit outrageous.

Glasscages get some very mixed reviews around the net. I'd really have to think about them. Choose carefully.

There are othe custom builders, but I suspect that bey the time you have it made, and shipped, you'd be in the same price range as the ADA.

As pointed out, you could consider more or less standard tanks from your LFS. Ask yourself if you really need an rimless tank. Would you be happy with something a little larger, even thoguht it had a rim?

I'd also say that if you found a tank you liked, but it didn't fit your stand, consider getting a stand to go with the tank you like. It shouldn't be too much more.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Antbug, seriously consider the lighting on a rimless. It shines in your eyes if you are below it. Not that great on a large tank. Nanos, OK, but big ones, no way

My 65g jungle October rain
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Here in Sacramento Catalina Aquarium used to advertise that they make rimless tanks, but I have never seen one, nor do I know if they still do it. You could ask Tom Barr at next weeks club meeting to see what his thoughts are now - all of his tanks are rimless.

Hoppy
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Buy some 1/2 inch glass and make your own!!!

Unless of course you are like me and would break so much glass in that process that it would turn out to be even more expensive this way.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
I know this might not help, but for me, I went with the 90P because I knew I would just regret not spending the extra couple hundred for what I really wanted. I think all other rimless tanks pale in comparison to ADA nature brand. JMO. So if it's a matter of saving for a little longer, at least you know you'll have a tank that you'll be happy with for as long as it lasts. If the money isn't on the horizon or your in a time crunch then, I would check out perfecto. They supply through LFS's and they make the second best rimless I've seen with good silicone work and starphire glass. Their glass cutting and silicone are superior to GC but you pay for it, though not as much as ADA.

I'll look into the perfecto brand, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Since this is a obvious special display tank, my reaction would be to go with the ADA 120p, although I agree the price of the tank is a bit outrageous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post

Glasscages get some very mixed reviews around the net. I'd really have to think about them. Choose carefully.

There are othe custom builders, but I suspect that bey the time you have it made, and shipped, you'd be in the same price range as the ADA.

As pointed out, you could consider more or less standard tanks from your LFS. Ask yourself if you really need an rimless tank. Would you be happy with something a little larger, even thoguht it had a rim?

I'd also say that if you found a tank you liked, but it didn't fit your stand, consider getting a stand to go with the tank you like. It shouldn't be too much more.
I've heard the same about Glasscages. That's what worries me too. I called AFA about the 120p and they are more in store than online? Plus they are going up tomorrow around 20%. That will put that tank at just over $900. It's not that nice. In regards to a different size tank. I already have the stand and light for the 48" long tank. It would be more than just a new stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Antbug, seriously consider the lighting on a rimless. It shines in your eyes if you are below it. Not that great on a large tank. Nanos, OK, but big ones, no way

I had a canopy on my 55g, but the moisture from my 82 degree water warped it and now it's ruined. I'm worried if it continues to warp, it could fall down and break my tank. I do know what you mean though. My light only sits 4" about the tank so it's not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Here in Sacramento Catalina Aquarium used to advertise that they make rimless tanks, but I have never seen one, nor do I know if they still do it. You could ask Tom Barr at next weeks club meeting to see what his thoughts are now - all of his tanks are rimless.

I'll give them a call. I know Tom's 180g is from Glasscages, but I'll ask where he got the others from.

Are there any other options for this size tank?

-

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubvstudent View Post
Buy some 1/2 inch glass and make your own!!!

Unless of course you are like me and would break so much glass in that process that it would turn out to be even more expensive this way.
Yes, I'm like you. Plus I want it to look nice when I'm done

-

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Email Orlando from green leaf aquariums. He may be able to help you.

IME, stay away from the custom made tanks. Stick with GLA or ADA for rimless tanks.

jB
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban View Post
Email Orlando from green leaf aquariums. He may be able to help you.

IME, stay away from the custom made tanks. Stick with GLA or ADA for rimless tanks.

jB
Orlando said it would be 3 months before his next shipment. I might just have to wait.

Anyone have a used 120p for sale?

-

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
It will be worth the wait

jB
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post

I'll look into the perfecto brand, thanks.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]

I've heard the same about Glasscages. That's what worries me too. I called AFA about the 120p and they are more in store than online? Plus they are going up tomorrow around 20%. That will put that tank at just over $900. It's not that nice. In regards to a different size tank. I already have the stand and light for the 48" long tank. It would be more than just a new stand.

I had a canopy on my 55g, but the moisture from my 82 degree water warped it and now it's ruined. I'm worried if it continues to warp, it could fall down and break my tank. I do know what you mean though. My light only sits 4" about the tank so it's not that bad.
Consider what that same moisture would do to your walls....

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
Consider what that same moisture would do to your walls....

eh, I rent.

Would it really cause any problems?

-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode