whats in your canister filter? - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
whats in your canister filter?

lets talk whats in your canister filter and why?

I was all about to order some lava rock for the bio media but it was suggested the ceramic rigs have more surface area, is that true? I guess so but just want to confirm. so what is the "best" bio media.
looks like you can

also wondering about dry reef rock. I know the stuff is very porous and works great in my reefs but guessing it will mess up the PH or break down with the Co2?? just an idea...

also not sure I fully understand layering the canister filter. seams like alot of ppl use polyfill as the 1st layer but that seams like it would get clogged and rot faster =needed to be cleaned faster than the rest. but its on the bottom making it a PITA .

this it what I was thinking:
1st layer the water touches mechanical with pot scrubbers.
2nd and 3rd bio media Lava rock or ceramic rings
4th layer polyfill to polish the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Lava rock and Poret foam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Pot scrubbers wouldn't be good as mechanical as they would only catch very large particles. The goal is to stop as much particulate matter from getting to the other layers so they don't get clogged. I would do poret foam in the first section to catch the big stuff, poly in the second to polish and then biomedia/chemical media of your choice in the last two. Check out pumice for biomedia, basically the same thing a seachem matrix biomedia just a lot cheaper.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys"

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Pumice is another good volcanic choice!
Immortal1 and Immortal1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks guys, I'll look in to poret foam.
ah yes I forgot about pumice my brain is overloaded with all the researching. I think I may making this harder than it needs to be :/

any idea where to get bulk pumice?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Evilbay I think it is screened to like 3/8" 5lbs somewhere under $20

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by underH20garden View Post
thanks guys, I'll look in to poret foam.
ah yes I forgot about pumice my brain is overloaded with all the researching. I think I may making this harder than it needs to be :/

any idea where to get bulk pumice?
It would serve as biomedia so whichever section you decide to use for that. And yes reef rock rubble would make good biomedia but would raise the PH, so good for an African cichlid tank etc...

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Evilbay I think it is screened to like 3/8" 5lbs somewhere under $20
hmm I dont seem to find it, but will keep looking.

ah found it, it's under "pumice soil"
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Swisstropicals.com is the only US source I know of for Poret.

Bump: Horticulture pumice soil amendment

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Garden supply places should carry it. It's often used as a component in soil for bonsai trees. Amazon has it as well but I'm not sure about grain size.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Poret is the good stuff but any 30-45ppi pad will work fine no need to go crazy, it's all automotive seat filler after all.

I use a three part course/medium/fine set of pads in my bottom basket where the water first comes in to block particulates. I have some poret pads but most of that goes into HMF's usually I use off brand reticulated pond pads of at least 30ppi because it's cheaper.

The rest of the baskets get biohome+ media I haven't found anything better in 20 years. It was engineered for Koi pond filters so make sure you order the mini version unless you only want one or two in the basket

I do hedge my bet with a Purigen bag in the top basket with the Biohome, it can't hurt and does make the water clearer it's just the 100ml small version.

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.

Last edited by bradac56; 02-18-2018 at 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling is hard
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by underH20garden View Post
... my brain is overloaded with all the researching. I think I may making this harder than it needs to be :/ ...
One of the things your going to find out sooner or later is that it doesn't make too much difference in the media you use. Sure, you need some sort of mechanical filtration to keep particulate matter out of the rest of the media, and some sort of biological media, and optionally, some sort of chemical media. It's also true that some media choices are better than others, but I think you'll find that while they are better, they are not that much better.

I would avoid reef rubble rock only because it can raise Ph.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:47 PM

I get my sponge from here:

Angels Plus

Excellent selection, great prices, cut to order, Steve is very communicative and will answer all questions. I run this as well as Pond Matrix in my can.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have mine layered with ceramic rings (because they came with the filter) then sponge of three different densities, then poly which I cut myself new pieces when it wears out, and last the sintered glass bio-balls. But really I just like sponge. I think when my ceramic and bio-balls clog (if they ever do) I will probably just replace with sponge. It's so easy to just lift out and rinse.

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:28 AM
Algae Grower

Coarse filter pad, media rings, purigen, carbon, zeolite and a fine filter pad for crystal clear water!

-Madrona

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode