snails problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
snails problem

hi everybody i got a problem with snail and i don't know what to do so if any one can help please..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

if it is about too many common snails that everybody hate them, you coud try adding some botia or some assasin snails, this are beauty (http://freshwater-aquarium-passion.b...in-snails.html)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for people with passion for aquariums
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
What's the problem? That you have them? I just dealt with a pond snail invasion myself . . .

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Like littlefish said, the best way to deal with them is probably by introducing a predator. Botias, I think, are the loach familty. I have kept several types of loaches and they all seem to eat snails.

If you don't have any other inverts and you want a quick solution you can always nuke the tank with copper-safe. That should eradicate them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I am not as experienced as the above commenters, but I have read that using a "snail trap" of blanched lettuce overnight in the tank or something a bit more complex involving a plastic soda bottle with food snails like inside is another solution.

One removes the item, with snails attached, the following morning.

You can repeat until snail population is sufficiently reduced.

Though perhaps a bit more labor intensive, this would avoid the problem of what to do with the predators after they eat all the snails or the side effects of snailicide (and snail bodies).

Last edited by tetraontheedge; 12-29-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: missing comma
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Many snail problems pop up when you are over feeding the tank, look at how much food you are putting in, and lower it a bit. Then use one of the above mentioned methods to get rid of the ones you have.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 04:18 AM
Algae Grower

From my experience in steeply decreasing my over populated tank by pond and MT snails, I would suggest a couple of days without feeding your fishes and then change nearly 80% of your water and add fresh gravel about an inch thick over your present substrate and refill your tank. Now that the tank has new substrate and the snails have been buried, start feeding your fishes with just a few granules and see that these are eaten and does not fall down to the bottom. Keep feeding till the daily amount has been directly fed to the fishes and none floating down. You will notice that you have no more snails to deal with. Happy New Year to all members!

“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.”

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode