What am I doing wrong? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Pen

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question What am I doing wrong?

Hello all! Hope you all had a great Christmas and everyone is going to have a great year ahead.

My question is "What am I doing wrong?"
I have a 300 litre tank that was setup about 7 weeks ago. It had 2 x 2217 eheim filters, one running a barry uv light and the other into a chiller set at 28 degrees. A 2215 filter is going into a dupla S reactor and the ph contoller is set a 7. Two T lamps are on for 5 hours in the evening.

Now, the problem is that the fish are "gasping", I have done a KH test and its ok at 5. The nitrate test is zero and the nitrata test is also good at 30ppm.
Ammonia is zero.
I have setup a timer to an air pump for night time to run for 3 hours to help the fish.
The dupla C02 plastic bubble shows also clear, meaning hi CO2.
The plants, which are mostly swords and some very small anubis are NOT pearling.
What's the problem? Please help as its driving me crazy!
Regrads
Pen in Sydney Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Algae Grower

If your parameters are right I would think your gassing your fish...
co2 must be too high. You said your ph controller is set at 7 and im assuming its attached to your solenoid. What was your ph before you set it??...

And with your fish gasping for air, I think the last thing you should be worrying about is why your anibus or swords are not pearling..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
Im not sure on the specifics of the dupla co2 system, but i would guess your co2 is too high. When setting up your "plastic bubble" did you use 4dkh solution or tank water? This may throw off your results.

Also in my experience anubias don't pearl and swords pearl sometimes but not very much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Pen

Thanks Solid. I'm using tank water for everything. I,ve set the CO2 counter at 1 bubble per second and the previous reading on the ph before putting gas on was 7.68. So, its not too far away.
Might just have to wait and see where it all settles.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
If your fish are stressed from too much CO2 buy or make yourself some 4 dKH water to use in your drop checker. If you are using 4 dKH water a green color will mean you have enough CO2 for your plants and a safe level for your fish. If you use tank water a green color in the drop checker is pretty much meaningless, may as well not use the drop checker.

Once your drop checker is properly set up turn off the pH controller. Slowly adjust CO2 until the drop checker registers green then test your pH and use that value to set the controller. Drop checkers can take a few hours to fully register. Always go slowly when making changes to CO2. Safest to make a small change every couple of days. Never increase CO2 if you are not going to be home to watch the reaction of your fish.

I agree that anubias and swords are not the type of plants that tend to pearl.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:10 AM
Planted Member

they may be hungry?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
It seems unlikely that a bubble rate of 1 bubble per second is going to gas the fish in a tank that size. You mention that the controller is set for 7. Does it ever reach seven? Even if it did that would be less than a 1 degree drop in pH. My tank does that every day with no signs of stress. What we don't know is how many fish, when they have been added, how much you feed them and what chemicals if any have been added ect ect. What we do know is that the tank is new (seven weeks). Sooooo.... are they gasping because of ammonia or nitrite? Oh, and + on the 4dKH solution and reagent in your drop checker-you want a green color not clear. That will take the guess work out of how much CO2 you really have in the water column.

Mark
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:46 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Don't inject CO2 for a day and change nothing else. See if your fish still gasp.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Pen

Thanks everyone, some great ideas there. Will start checking everything tomorrow and start some of the suggestions.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode