ich treatment question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
ich treatment question

2 days ago i bought 20 neon tetras and made the mistake of putting them in the tank without quarantine, as ive never had a problem with sick fish from the LFS. well about 4 of them have ich spots.

to treat my tank i bought API SUPER ICK. i have raised the temp up to 86 degrees and started my UV sterilizer(which i turn off for about 4 hrs when i dose the excel).

i use excel and my tank has about 30 plants (15 of which are new to the tank), hygro-blue, dwarf sagg, anubis of some kind, temple plants, and undulattas.

i havent started treating tank yet a i wanted to know if i should keep fertilizing, and using excel while treating with SUPER ICK?

SunSun Pimp #6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yeah, keep dosing ferts.. It can't hurt... My only concern is the UV. It'll break up the meds and excel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Yeah, keep dosing ferts.. It can't hurt... My only concern is the UV. It'll break up the meds and excel.
ive seen posts on here that say to continue meds for 7 to 10 days or should i just follow the directions on the box. ( i feel kinda dumb for asking but im new to the disease thing, first problem in a year and a half! )

this stuff wont hurt the bacteria on my bio media will it?

i thought that until i got meds the UV might help kill the free floating ICK.

SunSun Pimp #6

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Super Ick Cure contains malachite green. It's a stable compound that will not be altered by UV light. Some of your ferts might flourese in the UV unit, but I personally doubt the UV will affect any of them either.

If anyone has something authoritative (grad thesis, scientific report, etc.) that documents an aquarium UV unit can have any affect on aquarium fertilizers, I'd really like to read it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It is well known that UV light will destroy chelating agents such as EDTA. A search on Pubmed reveals multiple journal articles.

However, UV light will not, in general, affect aquarium fertilizers (however, it can have effects on other compounds).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had the same issue with buying 18 Cardinal and 12 neon tetras a few months back without quarantine on my 75 gallon community planted tank. 4-5 were showing small signs of spots. So, I went and researched some whether to use malachite green base ich meds or a more natural such as organic Kordon Ich-Attack. My only concern with Malchite green is the staining potential on my tank. i.e. silicone or whatever else. Did not want to use a med tank as I know Ich usually attacks to the weak and the simple fact that ich is usually in confined space such as aquariums all the time. It is a matter of attacking the stressed and weak.

Kordon Ich-Attack result? Well, it is not my fave as it is very foul smelling and turns the water brown. Nonetheless, I turned the heater up to 86 degrees to speed up the incubation period and have the white dots to fall off and free floating. This is where the treatment is effective. It lasted about 10 days and only seemed to slow down the spread to other cardinals and a couple of my Columbia blue/red tetras.

So, what did I do next? Well, I bought a 38 watt UV sterilizer just to assist the situation and remedy for later outbreaks. It took about 4-5 days after for the ich to be wiped out and fully controlled. The ich outbreak left me with no loss on the cardinals and 4 on the neons. My tank is heavily populated with multiple tetra breeds and bottom feeders such as yoyo and blue botia, 8 corydoras, royal and bushynose pleco. Not sure if it was the combination of the 10 day organic treatment with the 38W UV combo that did the trick, but I would do the same thing if an outbreak occurs.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
try increase temperature with 2-3 degrees celsius and add some salt

- for people with passion for aquariums
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

day # four of treating with API Super ICK CURE, signs of ICH are gone all fish are fine. the plants though didnt like 86 so i turned the temp down to 82.

according to the box im supposed to quit dosing and do a 25% water change today. ive seen on this forum its recommended to treat(with other methods) for 10 days to be sure the ick has truly died.

what do any of you suggest i do at this point?

SunSun Pimp #6

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode