HELP!! Cycled filter stopped working :( - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation HELP!! Cycled filter stopped working :(

Hello,
This isn't really a planted tank specific question, but hoping some of you may have suggestions on what to do.

I recently acquired a 55 gallon tank. When I picked it up, the previous owner said I'd probably need to replace one or both of the filters sooner than later - it came with 2 HOB filters.

One of them stopped working within a few days of taking the tank, so I ordered an Eheim Canister 2224-37 right away. It came last Wednesday and I hooked it up on Christmas Eve day... so it's been running for about 4 days.

Well, sometime between yesterday morning after I left for work and this morning when I woke up, the second HOB filter stopped working.

Since there was no water being pumped, the sponge was pretty much dried up... only slightly moist at the bottom of it, sitting in a small pool of water & fish waste... so probably no live bacteria left on the sponge.

Not sure what exactly to do now...

Tested the ammonia this morning, and it was just around 1ppm. I do use AmQuel Plus to dechlorinate tap water, which also binds ammonia up to about 1.7ppm, so hopefully the fish will be okay until I get home

I assume there are still some "ammonia/nitrite eating bacteria" in the gravel (but vaccumed it on xmas), so guessing that it's not enough to keep ammonia levels from rising further while the bacteria colonies build back up in the Eheim, as well as the new filter I plan to buy today.

When I first got the tank it was stocked with about 90 inches of fish (including 4x 12-14 inch plecos and an 8 inch bala shark... YIKES!) .
Over the past week, I have rehomed the larger fish and added a few smaller ones. It is currently stocked with approx 48 inches of fish. [3 Angelfish, 6 Cories (Loxozonus), 5 Glass Cats, 6 Cardinal Tetras, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Indian Glassfish]. All the fish appeared to be acting 'normal' as of this morning.

Should I add an ammonia binding product such as API Ammo-Lock or Stress-Zyme? Some other product? I've never used any of these products before and the online reviews seem to be mixed.

I do also have pennywort floating in the tank... hoping this will help a bit too with keeping levels in check. I am also thinking I should change at least 5 gallons of water daily until this "re-cycle" has completed. Too much or not enough... thoughts?

This is a situation I've never encountered before, so THANK YOU for any help you have to offer.
~Catherine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I would do large, 75-80%, water changes daily and vaccum up as much waste as possible each time. The old filter media might still be good so I'd throw it in the tank. It can't hurt IMO. Hopefully the pennywort will help keep your nitrates down.

Good luck!

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
I would do large, 75-80%, water changes daily and vaccum up as much waste as possible each time. The old filter media might still be good so I'd throw it in the tank. It can't hurt IMO. Hopefully the pennywort will help keep your nitrates down.

Good luck!

Yikes... change 40 gallons per day? If that's what it's gonna take, I guess I'll be buying a few more 5 gallon water jugs

Thanks for the advice!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Skype™ to paulrw
get a python to aid in water changes it will save your back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrw View Post
get a python to aid in water changes it will save your back
Agreed! Or get an adapter for your faucet to connect a garden hose. Much cheaper than a python.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The python (or similar product) sounds like a real time saver!

So as far as refilling the tank, is there some sort of add-on where dechlorinator can be added/mixed with tap water BEFORE it gets to the tank? I'd hate to risk any chlorine killing whatever bacteria may be left in the gravel Or is that something I shouldn't worry about? Thanks again!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
People have different methods, but adding Prime (or another readily available dechlor) before, during, or after the refill, or all 3, will work fine. Folks will say to use as much as is necessary for the amount you fill, twice that much, or enough for the entire tank. Again, all methods work fine. Not a big deal. Nor is the temperature difference between tank water and added water, though with a 50%+ water change, you might want to add some hot water to the mix. Basically, be careful if you like, but honestly you'd have to try really hard to screw it up
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I miss changing water with a bucket... My arms are all flabby now. I had muscles before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineMPLS View Post

So as far as refilling the tank, is there some sort of add-on where dechlorinator can be added/mixed with tap water BEFORE it gets to the tank? I'd hate to risk any chlorine killing whatever bacteria may be left in the gravel Or is that something I shouldn't worry about? Thanks again!
if your using prime, I wouldnt worry about the chlorine killing your bacteria in your gravel. I add prime enough to dose my whole tank as I start my fill on my waterchange and I do 50% every week. hasnt failed me yet. prime is extremley reactive so it works super fast.

and gravel vaccing your gravel doesn't remove bacteria as such. the gravel is coated in biofilm (a layer of bacteria) which you would be hard pressed to get off with a pressure washer. only the bacteria that are attached to the mulm (waste) will get removed. and thats not a major loss persay.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineMPLS View Post

Should I add an ammonia binding product such as API Ammo-Lock or Stress-Zyme? Some other product? I've never used any of these products before and the online reviews seem to be mixed.

~Catherine
Stick with prime, dont double up and use stress zyme (nasty stuff anyway) or another ammolocker with prime. just stick with prime it can be used up to 5x the normal dose if your starting to expirience ammonia spiking. prime and water changes should get you through.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the feedback

And now I have a game plan to get through this aweful situation.

Hope you all have a great New Year!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode