Shrimp tank advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp tank advice

Hello there. I've recently bought a new aquarium, and am quite new to keeping aquatic life. The tank is a small desktop nano-cube, about 1.2 - 1.5 gallons, with an overhead lamp and a working filter. The tank has a large, single decoration of a curved "pillar row", I suppose I could best describe it, which sits in the center of the tank and forms a hollow, dark hiding place extending below the gravel outside it. Just behind this, in the curve, I've placed a large Lilaeopsis plant, and behind this in turn are a couple of fake plants which came with the ornament. I also have a green mossball in the corner of the tank. The tank temperature is around the mid 20s.

Today I bought four red cherry shrimp who have just been introduced to the tank. They seem to be reacting well - the two smaller, clearer ones which I assume to be males are darting about regularly and acting normally, whilst one female is resting at the back just waving her legs around herself and the other female is simply resting in a dark overhang of the decoration, moving only very slightly. This is my first concern - does anyone think this is strange or abnormal? My second question is - is this tank suitable for these shrimp? Are the plants good enough to hide in (for the Lilaeopsis) and feed upon (for the mossball)? Should I install a heater?

Also, I would like to ask for some advice about the future. I plan to have about 8 cherry shrimp in total in my tank, and would also like to have 2 golden apple snails as well. Will these two species work well together, and is the number of shrimp and snails I plan to get too much for a 1.2 gallon tank? Finally, what will the snails eat, and will they disrupt the shrimps' feeding?

Thank you for helping me! I know I'm probably seeming a bit silly asking all this, but I'm not very experienced in keeping tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A tiny snail just appeared now.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Apple snails are going to get way too big for this size tank - even just one is too big. A single ramshorn snail (they come in colors) will be alright - 2 of them means you'll have hundreds in short order.
The tiny snail that appeared is probably a hitchhiker from the plant, possibly a pond snail - I'd squish it and let the shrimp have a snack.
I think you'll probably be OK with 8 shrimp in there though. If the room is warm and doesn't fluctuate in temperature you may get away without a heater but keep an eye out. One of the Hydor 7.5 watts are low profile and will keep the tank temp a degree or two above room temp.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyia View Post
Apple snails are going to get way too big for this size tank - even just one is too big. A single ramshorn snail (they come in colors) will be alright - 2 of them means you'll have hundreds in short order.
The tiny snail that appeared is probably a hitchhiker from the plant, possibly a pond snail - I'd squish it and let the shrimp have a snack.
I think you'll probably be OK with 8 shrimp in there though. If the room is warm and doesn't fluctuate in temperature you may get away without a heater but keep an eye out. One of the Hydor 7.5 watts are low profile and will keep the tank temp a degree or two above room temp.
At the pet shop I went to, the apple snails were the same size as the ramshorns. Do apple snails grow larger? I think the ones in the shop are Pomacea bridgesii.

Also, I went back to the tank and I can't find the snail anymore. Will it become a problem in the future?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: The snail has reappered, this time a little bigger - probably about half a centimeter long. The shell is a transparent gold-ish and it has white skin. I tried crushing it a few times with my brush but to no avail, so I just decided to leave it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perapsam View Post
Today I bought four red cherry shrimp who have just been introduced to the tank. They seem to be reacting well - the two smaller, clearer ones which I assume to be males are darting about regularly and acting normally, whilst one female is resting at the back just waving her legs around herself and the other female is simply resting in a dark overhang of the decoration, moving only very slightly. This is my first concern - does anyone think this is strange or abnormal? My second question is - is this tank suitable for these shrimp? Are the plants good enough to hide in (for the Lilaeopsis) and feed upon (for the mossball)? Should I install a heater?
That behavior sounds normal to me. Sometimes my RCS love to climb to the tip of a plant and just hang out. Do they at least move when you feed them?

RCS are climbers and will get nervous if there isn't anything to climb/hide in. Lilaeopsis (from the images I found online) seems fairly short, but it and the plastic plants are probably enough.

They'll be fine in a pretty wide range of temperatures. If you're mid 20's, you're fine. If it's consistently below 21 and the shrimp start looking sluggish, you may way to look into a heater.

Good questions! Don't feel silly =)

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
15 harlequin rasboras, 4 roseline sharks, 1 neon blue dwarf gourami, 3 clown loach, 1 coolie loach, 12 neon tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco, 3 amano shrimp, 8 ghost shrimp, 2 pearl gouramis, 3 siamnesis
[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
2 green terror cichlids, 1 electric blue jack dempsy
[
]
N+1 red cherry shrimp

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode