hydrogen peroxide - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation hydrogen peroxide

I need to make another thread about h2o2 because my i did not get what i needed from my previous threads so i hoping that you guys may be able to shed some light to a noobie like me.

Here is my question:
How do i disinfect plants using h2o2? Please give me the directions in disinfecting and making the solution.
What i mean is disinfecting it from parasites, bacteria and other nasties that might harm my fish. I cannot get my hands on other stuff for disinfection aside from h2o2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Algae Grower

not sure if this works since i haven't had personal experience, but here's a link that i found when i was researching the same subject, hope this helps, post up your results!

scroll to post #7
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ster-help.html
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Nobody ever really wants to answer this question.
Do what someone recommends and kill all your plants or fish, or not kill the bugs, snails etc. I posted what I've done personally. (and it worked for me)

3% topical hydrogen peroxide treatment in an established tank.

Treatment of up to 10mL maximum per gallon is the dose used.
(Actual tank volume not the sold as size)
A 55g tank with 80lbs (2") of Eco Complete holds 43 gallons of water.

Established treatment at this dosage is to isolate the filter (shut it down) allow for circulation with a power head or air stone. 3-5 hour stand time on the treatment then do a 50% water change followed by a 25% water change after 24 hours. The filter can be restarted after the 50% water change. Delicate plants can melt.
This is the dosing level used to kill algae and practically all bacteria and parasites, protozoan’s, etc.
This is also the highest dosing of HP recommended by any of the fish breeders on my other favorite website. I've used this dosing level twice to good result and followed the water changing recommendation.

H2O2 also effects the slime coat and really weakened fish don't handle it well. Scaleless fish can be burned bad enough not to survive if they swim into the injected peroxide coming out of the syringe. Once it's diluted into the tanks volume they have been fine in my experiences using the 10ml dose.

The oxidizing capacity of hydrogen peroxide is so strong that it is considered a highly reactive oxygen species. In acidic solutions, H2O2 is one of the most powerful oxidizers known—stronger than chlorine, chlorine dioxide, and potassium permanganate. (Wikipedia)

Put 2g of water, in a bucket add 20ml of H2O2 and soak the weeds for a period of time. Pour it on straight over the sink then rinse. Pour it straight into a bowl and dip the plants repeatedly then rinse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wkndracer; 12-28-2010 at 07:39 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I think people worry far too much about this. Particularly about plants. I just rinse plants and away we go. Outside of snails, there isn't much there to come along for the ride.

Find me a case of someone buying new plants and their fish getting some parasite or other illness from the plants...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
I think people worry far too much about this. Particularly about plants. I just rinse plants and away we go. Outside of snails, there isn't much there to come along for the ride.

Find me a case of someone buying new plants and their fish getting some parasite or other illness from the plants...

I agree with the first part of your comment. That being said, if you buy plants that were kept in an aquarium that had snails and want to add the plants to your tank, you should be prepared to either accept the adding snails or take steps to eliminate/reduce the likelihood of introducing them (i.e., quick dip in potassium permanganate). Also, if the plants don't look healthy/right or the conditions of the tank in which the plants are kept is suspect (e.g., fish are being quarantined and treated for illness), look elsewhere.

As for the 2nd part...it isn't a matter of "find me a case of someone...". The evidence of plants introducing something to the aquarium that resulted in fish becoming ill would almost have to be anecdotal in form. It is extremely difficult to conclusively prove that something (other than, perhaps, snails and/or eggs) was introduced to the aquarium by a given plant, as there are microscopic airborne & waterborne pathogens that are already present in or near the vicinity of the aquarium that could be the cause of the problem.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc13 View Post
if the plants don't look healthy/right or the conditions of the tank in which the plants are kept is suspect (e.g., fish are being quarantined and treated for illness), look elsewhere.
Only twice have I seen a member of this forum offering things from a suspect tank. (one with recent illness) The first was purely by ignorance of the fact that the plants/water could carry the issue without a host animal and the second was my first (and only) post in open forum finger pointing at the callousness of it (they haven't posted here since).

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks a lot for the help guys!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I've gotten hydra from some plants before, it was a pain to get kill off.

H2O2 is, from my understanding, pretty unstable and turns into water even on the bottle in the shelf at the store. It's also pretty ubiquitous and some of us have had that bottle behind the extra shampoo for eons. because of this, I think dosing is hard to relate. It's like wkndracer says, one man's miracle cure begins another's nuclear winter. I've used it to kill of bba, with great, great success treating the whole tank. I also nuked a tank once, I didn't quite kill the fish, but i think I killed every other living organism in it, except a couple of plants. I'm not positive, but I think it was the same dosage. I know it was the same tank.

I don't really remember how much I used, but it was less than a teaspoon on a twenty gallon aquarium. I've spritzed plenty of individual plants with a little sprayer and full strength H2O2 with no consequence. I just rinsed them off about thirty seconds to a minute later. I couldn't say if they were totally disinfected or not, but after the hydra I got a little more pro-active.

Now that I think of it, I got a plant from petco once then noticed some salty looking fish. That may have been nothing though, because I never really took any action aside from worrying through a weekend.

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Holy cow 10ml of h202 per gallon? I use 95ml total in my 55 with 50lb of sand per week

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
yeah, 10ml/gallon is too much.. It think it's 10ml/10gallon or 1ml/gallon.

But as a dip, use straight H2O2 or 1:2 H2O2:water.

You can get diseases from hitch-hikers on plants but you have little to worry about from emersed grown plants from nurseries.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I on average use 1ml/g to 2ml/g when treating for an algae outbreak, but start with less. You want to spot treat the algae with filters off, and let sit for 15 minutes at least.

For disinfecting plants, potassium permanganate is a much more suitable choice, or a diluted 1:20 bleach dip.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Children Boogie

Quote:
For disinfecting plants, potassium permanganate is a much more suitable choice, or a diluted 1:20 bleach dip.
They all do the same thing, oxidizes and leave harmless by-products; it's a matter of strength.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Will h2o2 kill plants such as vals like excel will?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
They all do the same thing, oxidizes and leave harmless by-products; it's a matter of strength.
I agree but I think that the exposure time needed with H202 and the incredibly short life of the product, if you are really worried about disinfecting your plants using a method like dilute bleach or PP is the way to go.

All of this being said, I honestly do not think there is much more need than rinsing in tap water...
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Children Boogie

^^ it can if you leave it expose to H2O2 for too much & too long. It depends on the plant too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode