My room smells like moss - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My room smells like moss

I am new and i have a 55 Gal planted tank with java moss in my room. And now my room is starting to smell like moss. Is there any way to lessen the smell of the moss?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (135/100%)
Haha, I hope it's not cause of my Moss lol. I use a Air Wick X-Press automatic spray fragrant that spray every 36 minutes. Although my tanks don't smell at all, if it does, it doesn't smell bad.

She winks, Let's dance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

lol, i should buy that air wick freshener too, lol

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I notice when my water conditions start going bad I smell more mossy in my room. Lighting a candle every few days usually helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Activated carbon in the filter will reduce the smell. My 29g started smelling like a pond when I first set it up for some weird reason. I ran quality carbon in the filter for a few weeks and it took it away. I did not notice anything different with my plants or fish during the time. My water turned sparkling clear though...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
A clean healthy tank should never smell bad. None of my tanks have carbon and they've never smelled any more than a house plant. Having said that though, java moss does have an odor. I had a 55 gallon literally full of java moss. As I was pulling out portions to sell I could definitely smell it. But the tank itself never smelled. I guess because the moss was under water.

I'm not sure why you're having a different experience. Have you taken the moss out of the tank for anything recently?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I love the way my planted tank smells...well maintained planted and reef tanks have a certain smell to them I find, no lies...its not bad though, I actually find it pleasant, and you can only really smell it when you are working in the tank. (At least for me.)

Eheim Pimp #423
My Riparium:
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
A clean healthy tank should never smell bad. None of my tanks have carbon and they've never smelled any more than a house plant. Having said that though, java moss does have an odor. I had a 55 gallon literally full of java moss. As I was pulling out portions to sell I could definitely smell it. But the tank itself never smelled. I guess because the moss was under water.

I'm not sure why you're having a different experience. Have you taken the moss out of the tank for anything recently?
i recently tied my moss to some manzanita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivate05 View Post
Activated carbon in the filter will reduce the smell. My 29g started smelling like a pond when I first set it up for some weird reason. I ran quality carbon in the filter for a few weeks and it took it away. I did not notice anything different with my plants or fish during the time. My water turned sparkling clear though...
Does the carbon work fast?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Did you tie the moss in the room of the tank? The smell usually is gone within 24 hours.

-Andrew
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hill View Post
Did you tie the moss in the room of the tank? The smell usually is gone within 24 hours.

-Andrew
yea i did, i guess i will just wait and see if the smell goes away, if not then i will probably buy some carbon or air freshner
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Yeah, it'll go away after a while, just like if you were cooking or something else.

-Andrew
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Banned

My tanks always smell amazing, except when I had an overload of brown algae
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It can't smell any worse than chara. Around here we call it muskgrass. It smells like putrified onions if its been growing quickly and older growth smells like fresh cut onions.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
One of the few times I put carbon in tanks is for smells.... put in brand new ac, remove 4 days later and discarded.

Water changes every other day.... remove the build up of organics. And in my own experience.... open tanks smell less than closed up humidity traps...

When all done... clean your carpet and furniture.... you'd be amazed how much it holds onto.

Sent from my DINC
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ill probably do a water change tomorrow after i check out that Aqua workz place

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode