pregnant guppy problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation pregnant guppy problem

i have a guppy that was been pregnant for 7 months she looks like she is ready to explode its just her a male and a school of glow light tetras in the tank i do not know why she is keeping them in. 7.0 Ph nothing wrong at all with the water chemistry. does anyone have any idea why she hasn't let them go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Maybe she's not pregnant-maybe its sick. Guppies drop the fry at ~28 days ...5 weeks tops
Some of them eat the fry right away. What seems to work then is to have floating plants for the babies to hide...perhaps all the other fish in the tank eat the fry before you can see them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"No se vive celebrando victorias, sino superando derrotas."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)
Second that. Right before the female drops the fry, it will usually stay away from other fish, staying at the corners or the bottom of the tank. And yes, the mother will eat the frys if it's hungry. So provide some floating plants and some moss where the frys can hide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

there are plenty of plants, both planted and floating i wish i could take a picture she is really looks like she is going to explode and i do not think she is sick because she eats fine and is very active. if she has had them and they were eaten wouldn't the black dot fade and her belly get a little smaller? i am not trying to be rude if i sound like it just want to know what is really going on.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 03:58 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
I know you're talking about a guppy, but this same thing happened to one of my platys years ago. She looked to be pregnant for at least 7-8 months, then died. Not to discourage you, but if it's anything similar to what my platy looked like, then your guppy is probably in trouble.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Look carefully at the "pregnant" fish. Do the scales stick out a little? If so, the fish very likely has dropsy, which can be cured, but is fatal if not cured. Curing it is a pain to do, based on my experience, and with guppies, as cheap as they are, well.......

Hoppy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

your right she is sick the scales are sticking out solid white with dark green fins and tail iv never seen one like it a good buddy who passed alway gave her to me i really would like to cure her. how should i go about doing so?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I did a quick Google search: http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-heal...th-dropsy.aspx When one of my fish had this many years ago, the accepted treatment was adding salt to the water. I did that, and eventually the swelling went down. The fish survived several months longer, but eventually died. Since then I have viewed dropsy as an incurable cause for a quick euthanasia. With a guppy that would be my first reaction.

Hoppy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank you although it wasn't what i wanted to here. i am going to bring it in to be checked out by a guy at my local fish store and if he thinks it is dropsy before i kill her because her importance to me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode