recomendations for automatic feeders - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
recomendations for automatic feeders

I'm looking for an automatic feeder, but most of them have mixed reviews. I use powdered food, so it needs to be able to deal with that. I'll be using it on a 15 gallon with guppies and neons so it can't release too much food at once. This feeder would be for daily use.

The one I am leaning toward is the Current Aquachef. Can anyone who has used this feeder give some input? Also, any other recommendations would be welcome. Thanks and happy holidays.

Last edited by superguppy; 12-26-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
This is essential to the answer: What is your use for this? Daily, vacation, etc?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use the Eheim, all the time (travel for work, etc). Very reliable. Had it for 2 years.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You really don't need them for vacations of 2 weeks or less, the fish will do fine without food - I've done the no-feed vacations for nearly 20 years now and have never had an issue with the method.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
This is essential to the answer: What is your use for this? Daily, vacation, etc?
This would be for daily use. I've updated my original post. Thanks for the reminder,
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have a Top Fin that I filled with micropellets. I find that even the lowest volume setting dumps way too much into the tank. It might work better with flake food, but some of my fish don't eat it. If you're using powdered food, as you say, or smaller granules, I wouldn't recommend that feeder. It does run reliably enough though. When the drum turns on the feeder, it seems "labored" if that makes any sense.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
What ever you end up with, consider mounting it well above the tank and using a long drop tube that ends well above the water. Moisture is what usually stops people from using auto feeders very long.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What ever you end up with, consider mounting it well above the tank and using a long drop tube that ends well above the water. Moisture is what usually stops people from using auto feeders very long.
I started looking into the Eheim in the above recommendation and I think it might actually be a better design than the AquaChef. The Eheim doesn't have a built in clamp so I can set it on any flat surface above the tank. I was thinking about having the feeder hang off the side of my Aquaclear filter, where it would be about 3-4 inches from the water surface.

The Eheim also has some built in fan that activates when the feeder is spinning. Supposedly the fan is supposed to clear out the moisture in the whole system, but whether or not this actually works is questionable since it only runs during feeding. Someone had mentioned hooking up an air pump to this fan so that there is constant airflow pushing out moisture.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (135/100%)
I used to use a Penn-Plax Daily Double Automatic Feeder. Works great, back then when I had fish and left for weeks on jobs, it did it's job in feeding the fish. This was 2 years ago and the thing still works! It's cheap, large capacity, hangs on the side of your tank, adjustable amount of feeding drop hole.. and it works! I tried cylinder size pellets, round pellets, flakes, and hikari float food sticks.. works great! I can picture powder food to work as well. I would put it to use but I have no fish.

She winks, Let's dance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

I agree with the previous posts, but my big issue with automatic feeders is that you are restricted to using only dry foods. They are ok, I use them myself, but I feel that the fish do a whole lot better if fed other foods also. For a long vacation, I might use one, but for normal daily feeding, I'd rather feed them myself.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I have been using fish mate feeders for at least 5 years now. I use them for everyday feeding. When my tank had a top on it I set the feeder on the top of a back hanging filter. Now that the tank has no top I used the little clamp on legs that come with the feeder. Every now and then moisture is a problem but for the fish to miss one meal isn't an issue.

I feed tablets and flakes and it has worked great for me. You do have to crush up the flakes so they are small and fit well in the compartment or they will stick inside it.

http://www.petco.com/product/14574/F...sh-Feeder.aspx

I prefer this over the tumbling kind of feeders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode