Its gonna be Planted with RCS!

the 25Gallon Live plant deluxe kit?
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...deluxe-kit.htm

The 29Gallon Deluxe?
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...uarium-kit.htm

or

The 36Gallon Bow Front Deluxe?
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...uarium-kit.htm

im thinking the bow front.... just more room and taller than the others, it also is just designed well.....

but i would need higher powered lights and i would like to get glass top.
should i just get higher powered lights and leave the black hood or get glass tops?

HELP!! please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Dwarf Fish Lover

PTrader: (19/100%)
A 40Breeder maybe? The size will be 36*16*18
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
+1 on the 40 gallon breeder. I wish i got one instead of my 12" wide 37 gallon

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

is there 40 kits though? preferably aqueon

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhu89151734 View Post
A 40Breeder maybe? The size will be 36*16*18
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

only tank i found that has glass top and lights which was a 40 gallon was a top fin
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls
good tank?

i still like the bow front it has only 3 inches less depth but is taller with enough length for my room ha
(all my tanks are in my room.... mom still wont give into the idea that tanks are neat) :P
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
i have never seen a 40 breeder kit. but that is def. what you should get. granted its not very tall but has a large foot print
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well the 36 has more room than my 14 gallon by alot! haha but i need a full kit and im running low on space in my room

the 25 gallon was my original plan until seeing the 36 which has more ground room as well
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

My question to the OP is, why do you need this as a "full kit"?

In my opinion, these typical "full kit" setups include the cheapest junk possible for the filtration and lighting. Long term, I think you'll do a lot better getting the system an individual components and selecting the equipment that is best for you, based upon what you want to keep in the tank, and how much money you have to spend.

Equipment selection isn't really that difficult. If your in doubt, start a thread and ask about a potential purchase.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Planted Member

+1 on the 40G breeder. Even if you decide down the road not to heavily plant, you'll be able to keep more fish b/c of the greater surface area. Also avaialble is a 50G (36x16x18) and 65G (36x16x24) tank at the same footprint (36x16) as the 40G breeder but with additional height for taller plants, if that is a concern.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of bow front aquariums because you either you need a custom-fitted stand (which sometimes cannot be used for another aquarium without modification) or you end up using a larger stand with a bigger footprint (than for a similar capacity rectangular aquarium) for support because of the bow front area.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
My question to the OP is, why do you need this as a "full kit"?

In my opinion, these typical "full kit" setups include the cheapest junk possible for the filtration and lighting. Long term, I think you'll do a lot better getting the system an individual components and selecting the equipment that is best for you, based upon what you want to keep in the tank, and how much money you have to spend.

Equipment selection isn't really that difficult. If your in doubt, start a thread and ask about a potential purchase.
In recent years, I think there has been an effort to put together a better quality aquarium starter kit. As with any hobby, however, one can always spend more (sometimes a lot more) for better equipment. Unfortunately, most of us have cost/benefit, budget, time, and space considerations to take into account. The aquarium kits often offer a cost-effective way to get started. Down the road perhaps the tank that came with the kit becomes a breeder tank or a hospital tank.

I had previously taken a quick look at the 25G kit, which another poster had brought up. It is light years ahead of what I bought 10 years ago. Where one might expect the kits to fall short (for a planted tank) is with the included lighting. This 25G (24x12x20) kit has dual fluorescent lamps (6700K & colormax), which isn't too shabby for a starter kit.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thats just it i have a very low budget ha like 140 or so.... once i turn 18 petco will hire me and then i can do the 40 breeder alot easier but for now on a set budget it would be alot easier just to get a aqueon kit for a decent price. i think the 25g planted is going on sale for about $100 or less, and the 36 bow front is $130-ish..... both are full kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc13 View Post
In recent years, I think there has been an effort to put together a better quality aquarium starter kit. As with any hobby, however, one can always spend more (sometimes a lot more) for better equipment. Unfortunately, most of us have cost/benefit, budget, time, and space considerations to take into account. The aquarium kits often offer a cost-effective way to get started. Down the road perhaps the tank that came with the kit becomes a breeder tank or a hospital tank.

I had previously taken a quick look at the 25G kit, which another poster had brought up. It is light years ahead of what I bought 10 years ago. Where one might expect the kits to fall short (for a planted tank) is with the included lighting. This 25G (24x12x20) kit has dual fluorescent lamps (6700K & colormax), which isn't too shabby for a starter kit.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:46 AM
Planted Member

If you have established a budget for a new stocked aquarium and stick with it, more power to you. That's a lesson learned that will help you out the rest of your life.

The 25G kit is now @$99 per the post below.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ml#post1238071

Keep in mind you'll need additional funds to stock your aquarium (substrate, fish, plants, etc.). If it was up to me, I would opt for the less expensive 25G kit and spend the difference on some decent substrate and perhaps a few easy care plants (potted Annubias/Crypts, Java Fern, hornwort) to start off with. The 25G kit might also include better lighting (dual lamps) than the 29G or 36G kit, which is a key consideration for a planted tank.

Enjoy your new aquarium.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i have some eco complete is that good? several bags. then i have anubis nana banana plants, dhg, and some other stuff.

Quote:
If you have established a budget for a new stocked aquarium and stick with it, more power to you. That's a lesson learned that will help you out the rest of your life.

The 25G kit is now @$99 per the post below.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ml#post1238071

Keep in mind you'll need additional funds to stock your aquarium (substrate, fish, plants, etc.). If it was up to me, I would opt for the less expensive 25G kit and spend the difference on some decent substrate and perhaps a few easy care plants (potted Annubias/Crypts, Java Fern, hornwort) to start off with. The 25G kit might also include better lighting (dual lamps) than the 29G or 36G kit, which is a key consideration for a planted tank.

Enjoy your new aquarium.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish4Fun View Post
i have some eco complete is that good? several bags. then i have anubis nana banana plants, dhg, and some other stuff.

I'm considering using it when I start up my 45G aquarium in the spring. I have no prior experience with Eco-Complete but most of the opinions/reviews I have read seem to be positive. At a minimum, it should be easier to use than a Fluorite/gravel mix.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well i guess ill just give it a try

Quote:
I'm considering using it when I start up my 45G aquarium in the spring. I have no prior experience with Eco-Complete but most of the opinions/reviews I have read seem to be positive. At a minimum, it should be easier to use than a Fluorite/gravel mix.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode