A few questions before i get started!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool A few questions before i get started!!

Hello Everyone,

so after being an avid fish keeper for a long time, i've decided to move away from aggressive fish and into a more peaceful world i'm starting my new tank soon but just had a few quick questions.

1) im planning on using ADA Amazonia and read a lot about the ammonia spike, i was wondering if it would be safe to start planting/scaping during this period? i have a brand new filter thats been sitting around and wanted to begin cycling with water from my current tank. should i just let the ammonia cycle itself out or should i begin planting?

2) i have a spare 20gal truvu and the frameless tanks are starting to grow on me so much, has anyone chopped off the top of a truvu tank? dumb question but i was wondering if its ever been done or a good idea, i'm tempted to do it but at the same time i dont really want to bother, heh.

3) can anyone suggest any good ferts ? i'll be stopping in to the ADA store and maybe be getting some of theirs, but just wanted some suggestions from the experienced users on here.

im planning on doing an iwagumi style tank with mostly HC and maybe some micro swords to fill in the background, any suggestions? i've been browsing these forums for a while and finally have the time to take the dive, thanks all !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can plant the tank right away with ADA Aquasoil substrate. The ammonia becomes plant food then. Read https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-regimes_.html for the easy, economical way to fertilize aquariums.

Hoppy
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
As Hoppy pointed out no need to wait to plant when using Aquasoil, the plants will love the ammonia. But... to prevent initially ending up with cloudy water it is best to plant the tank before filling it.

Skip the ADA ferts. They are extremely expensive and you are paying mostly for water and a fancy looking bottle. Read the info at the link Hoppy posted and then order your dry ferts from here:
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/

They ship out of Napa USPS Priority mail. Since you are in the Bay area if you order early in the day you will have your package the next day.

HC grows best if you inject CO2. Depending on your light intensity you may need CO2 anyway to keep your plants healthy and avoid algae problems.

Can't answer your question about taking the rim off the tank. Generally not a good thing to do but maybe okay with a small tank. I would just invest in a nice rimless tank.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks all! has anyone gotten the PMDD pre mix? i think that would be my safer route since i know nothing about fertilizers yet, and maybe going with a premix will save me from....myself, haha. i hope to be picking up some plants and things soon as well as the AS and get this show on the road!!! thanks again everyone!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfed View Post
thanks all! has anyone gotten the PMDD pre mix? i think that would be my safer route since i know nothing about fertilizers yet, and maybe going with a premix will save me from....myself, haha. i hope to be picking up some plants and things soon as well as the AS and get this show on the road!!! thanks again everyone!
Dry dosing is a sinch! Check out one of our sponsors and the ferts will last you well over a year. I'd link you to the sticky for dry dosing but I'm on my phone. Its easy to find though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

good to hear! is the link you're speaking of the one Hoppy sent? that ones very informative! i cant wait to get started, i need to start piecing together my co2 system and get some AS and plants and things. should i fill up my tank all the way with the plants in there? i've seen a lot of tanks being established for the first time with AS and they only are half filled.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Dwarf Fish Lover

PTrader: (19/100%)
I would like to add one more point here: The ADA soil from AFA( the same store you mentioned as "The ADA store") in-store price is 36 for a 9L bag. And the same bag from their online store is 26 dollars plus about 14 bucks shipping. I dont know how many bags do you want to buy, but if you dont want to check out anything else but the soil, you may wanna go to their website at http://www.adana-usa.com/ and do some math to see which way is cheaper.

Since you have not started your tank yet, I suggest you to have your first trip there. They have some very nice display tanks. You also might want to hand pick your stones from AFA, They normaly cost $7.99/lb.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The link Hoppy posted will show you exactly what to dose with dry dosing. Basically you're just going to add 1/4 tsp of potassium nitrate and 1/16 tsp of monopotassium phosphate 3 times a week. For traces, something like CSM plus B or you could even just buy a major brand trace mix.

Few people have a 1/16 tsp measuring spoon laying around the house, but the beauty of EI dosing is that exact measurements are totally unecessary. I just throw in a pinch when I need to measure some teeny volume like that. If you're a bit more puckered up and can't stand imprecise measurements, there is such a thing as a 1/16 tsp spoon, and forum members sell them in the swap and shop from time to time. Honestly though, how many of us know the exact volume of water in our tanks anyway? There are occasions when a better measurement may be useful, so having a way to quickly measure small volumes could be beneficial.

Some also add extra iron (I do as well). This probably isn't necessary in most cases, but definitely doesn't hurt as long as you don't overdo it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfed View Post
good to hear! is the link you're speaking of the one Hoppy sent? that ones very informative! i cant wait to get started, i need to start piecing together my co2 system and get some AS and plants and things. should i fill up my tank all the way with the plants in there? i've seen a lot of tanks being established for the first time with AS and they only are half filled.
When people barely fill their tanks its due to the fact that they are using the dry start method (DSM) . If you do not plan on growing plants emersed then you do not need to worry about it. Most people use dsm to jump start their carpets

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

huhu : thanks for the advice, i dont live too far away from the store so i'm definitely excited to check it out and make the drive there, i didnt know they had the rocks there so i'll have to check those out and maybe get some inspiration from them.

sharkfood: that definitely sounds easy! i'm not too particular with the measurements, i used to, but after having to deal with aquatic chemicals for so long with my tanks i stopped caring as much, hehe, so the EI method is perfect for me the PMDD mix looks like its a good match for my needs
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ditU=1&Regit=2

hey rick, is there a benefit to doing the DSM method compared to the other method ? ( i would assume its the immersed method) would one way cycle the tank of ammonia faster than the other?

these boards are great! theres so much info, i'm part of numerous forums and i rarely get fast/helpful repsonses ... if only the car forums were like this haha, thanks again everyone!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Dwarf Fish Lover

DSM does not have to worry about algae issue before you actually add full tank of water. Also you dont need co2 in the begining as well. Thats all I know about the benefit of this method.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

nice! i think this may be the route i go with, it'll give me time to piece together my co2 kit and get the ferts and stuff in.

also when i get the tank nice and established, i wanted to keep some shrimp in there as a clean up crew, i dont necessarily want a breeder tank but will that eventually happen? kinda dont want my tank to be stocked with them, hehe
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:16 AM
Dwarf Fish Lover

LOL, if you dont mind the looking of the shrimp, maybe some Amano shrimp? They do not breed in freashwater. Or I just saw that post on SnS that ZID is selling a kind of "Orange shrimp" also wont breed in freashwater.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

sweet, good to know, haha. hopefully aquaforest will be open tomorrow!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:43 AM
Dwarf Fish Lover

They sould. Good luck, write a jurnal!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode