Greg Watson Ferts...So many! What do I use? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Greg Watson Ferts...So many! What do I use?

Was looking at getting some ferts from Greg Watson, but don't exactly know what to get if I do!! So many things (potassium...carbonate....other big words) but don't have a clue as to what they all do. ...All I have is a 20 g, 55 W Tank with some micro chains, baby tears, java ferns, and anacharis...

What do you guys suggest for someone on a budget? Or any good references as to what all those nutrients do and are needed for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
the basic four would be Plantex, Iron, Pot. Sulfate, and Pot. Nitrate that you will probably need. if you have a lot of fish you could even not use the Pot. Nitrate.

I also picked up some Magnesium and Calcium. I use Crushed Coral though in my tank so I don't use these two yet.

1 order of each will last you years, so definately great for a tight budget!

make sure to grab a few 4 or 8oz mixing bottles too...

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 01:18 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
You should get Potassium Nitrate KNO3 and Mono Potassium Phosphate KH2PO4. I also ordered Potassium Sulfate K2SO4 but some advocate there is enough Potassium in your KNO3 dosing. My tank does not have a high Nitrate load so I still add extra Potassium. That takes care of your macro dosing. I would also recommend getting his Plantex CSM +B. This makes a ton of solution so this is all you will need for a long time. This is your micro element dosing and has everything else in it including iron.

You may want to down this free dosing calculator to assist you in figuring your dosing amounts. I love this thing.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 01:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
when i did the calculations of K in KNO3, once I got to 5ppm worth of NO3 it was only giving me 3ppm K. Are the advocates of there being enough K in KNO3 saying that 3ppm is plenty, or are they assuming that there is another source without additives of K coming from somewhere?

My Nitrates seem to stay at 5ppm anyway, so I have to use K2SO4 for my K. But I may be adding too much if one of the above is true.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 02:28 AM
Planted Member

Hi,

You say you have 55 watts of Jebo plus 20 watts of Kmart. That is close to 4 wpg, and your DIY CO2 can't support that amount of light, with or without any fertilizer. If you are going to have more than, say, 2.5 wpg, then you need pressurized CO2. If you cut back to 2 wpg then your DIY CO2 will be fine.

What is your KH and pH? These will tell the concentration of CO2 that you have. How are your plants growing? How long has the tank been set up? Do you see any algae?

If you add fertilizer to this tank you will truly become ". . . the best algae grower you can find on the east coast!" Evern without it, you still might.

Good luck!

Bill
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 09:22 AM

Yes, I would take it one step at a time. First read up and find out more about the different ferts and what they do and when they are appropriate to use...

You can start with Rex Grigg's site which has good info: www.rexgrigg.com.

You have high lighting, probably inadequate CO2 levels for that amount of light, and low light plants (java fern and moss).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Spar,

I have very soft water and only dose K from KNO3. And I have had no problems. If I start dosing additional K then I start seeing calcium uptake problems.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 01:23 PM

Spar,

Here is a post about Potassium you may want to read to help you sort this out. Several posts down is a reply from Greg Watson. When I stopped dosing K I started getting pinholes in leaves so I started back and it is slowly going away so I guess I will continue.

Speaking of I have seen people quote replies from a thread that go right to the reply. How do you do that? I can only link the first post.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...pic.php?t=3596
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 07:34 PM

This what I bought from him.

1 pound each of
Mono Potassium Phosphate(KH2PO4) - supplies phosphate and potasssium (PO4 and K)
Potassium Nitrate(KNO3) - supplies nitrate (NO3)
Potassium Sulfate(K2SO4) - main source of phosphate (PO4)
Magnesium Sulfate(MgSO4) - magnesium (MG)
Plantex CSM+B (traces)

I don't dose calcium since my water source has plenty but the Mg is low.

I mix KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4 in 400 ml of water and dose 3 ml a day. This gives me about 0.75:0.25:1.00 ratio of NO3:PO4:K. There are also two other mixes, an NO3 free mix and a PO4 free mix depending on the tanks needs. If the NO3 is too high I can switch to the NO3 free mix. If the PO4 is not being used I can switch to the PO4 mix. What I like about this is I am only supply enough nutrients to get the plants through a day or so.

Made mix of CSM+B in 400 ml and dose 3 ml every day. This supplies my trace elements.

Takes about 2 seconds to dose my tank.

Anyway it has worked well so far. I'm doing something called PPS based on a post by Edward at APC.

It's very simple so far and I find it much nicer then commercial bottled products. Still using my bottled products on my 10 but when that is gone I will stick to the dry chemicals and mix my own. Cheaper and more flexible.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode