Substrate Dilemma - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate Dilemma

I want to replicate what the person with this tank has done with their rocks..but im not sure how they did it. Any suggestions on how to do this effect?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkhDJ_fqLHI

also i was wondering if it would be a good idea to put seachem flourite under maybe and inch of pool filter sand? im trying to grow a nice carpet of DHG?
Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
substrate of smaller size will eventually sink under substrate that is larger in size. You can mix substrates in your tank by using dividers. The dividers can be rocks in your scape or pieces of clear plastic hidden beneath your substrate which also keep plants with runners from creeping into parts of the tank you don't want them in. You can also use things like eggcrate to create hills that won't eventually "erode" as you plant/replant into a dull looking mound. If you want rocky features in your hills you can use rocks to keep the substrate from moving around and it becomes part of your hardscape.

If you aren't in a rush to fill your tank up and don't yet have fish you can work on your tank using something called a Dry Start Method (DSM). LOL I sound like such an advocate of it at the moment but take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm just starting to play around with this method to grow out some DHG 'Belem" and HC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by
, on Flickr

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've just poured flourite behind hardscape, with the substrate acting as retaining walls. It works fairly well, but untill you get alot of plant roots, it does tend to try and settle out. You can create a tiered effect simply by allowing the plants behind the hardscape to grow taller also.

Some carpet plants don't lend themselves to this style of trimming though as they tend to grow very dense. The taller the tank, the more difficult it is to get that same effect since you'll have to make your raised portions taller to make them seem as high in the overall "scape".

There's 25 lbs of driftwood in my tank and a 6" difference between the low spots and the tallest parts of the substrate, and it's barely noticeable now that the plants have covered substrate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode