Bioindicators for water quality - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bioindicators for water quality

Rosehawke's thread about adventitious roots got me wondering about whether or not there are any good bioindicators for approximate nutrient dosing for those of us who don't test our water routinely. Obviously, I have figured out that high phosphates leads to algae, but I think it would be helpful to get a list going. I know they exist because I've seen posts that indicate some people stopped testing because they can tell what's missing by looking at their tank. Other than growth rates, can you give specifics that are broadly applicable to most setups?

For example, someone on this forum once kindly pointed out to me that red plants losing their red color might be a sign of iron deficiency.

Any s?
Thanks! Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Nutrient deficiencies:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

IBN,

Thanks, that's a huge help!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustinj74
For example, someone on this forum once kindly pointed out to me that red plants losing their red color might be a sign of iron deficiency.

Any s?
Thanks! Justin
Except that red plants losing red color also means high nitrates, for many (most?) of the red plants are more red in low nitrates.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonapersona
Except that red plants losing red color also means high nitrates, for many (most?) of the red plants are more red in low nitrates.
That's the problem with "bioindicators" - they might help narrow your focus, but rarely provide one answer. I'd also mention the high potassium OR low calcium problem - both give the same symptoms in your plants.

You might use the plants appearance to indicate a problem (or lack of problem), then TEST the water, then develop a solution to any problems.

GO CHEMISTRY!!!!

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 01:30 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Plus, different plants act in different ways to different nutrient deficiencies. Furthermore, combinations of nutrient deficiencies lead yet to other symptoms.

There is no way around testing, until you get a feel what's going on in your tank water, and find yourself adding the same amount of the same nutrients week by week.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I figured there's no substitute for testing, but until I graduate to something bigger than a 10 g, I'm going to stick to the basics...unless I run into some real trouble

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode