Why do water changes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why do water changes?

Why do we do water changes?

1. To keep nitrate levels down.
2. To stop fertilizer build-up (especially EI)
3. Possibly, to stop growth-suppressing hormones building up (discus).
4. To prevent the build-up of nasty chemicals.

I don't have any of these problems. I dose almost nothing, the plants suck up more nitrate than the tank produces, and I'm not keeping discus. I use various chemical filtration media, which should be much more effective than the mild dilution brought about by water changes.

The tank is a heavily stocked, well filtered, medium light, Excel setup (see profile).

I currently do 20% weekly, but aqadviser suggests I do quite a bit more (and it's usually right).

Should I? Is there any need to increase my water changes if nitrates remain low? Is there any other reason for changing water that should be added to the above list?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Why fix something that isn't broken. If you're like me and just can't resist tinkering, then go for it, but I'd say there's no reason to change more water unless you're simply curious to see if there's an effect.
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
My ammonia levels go up instead of down when I do a water change. My tap water tests out at 1ppm but it raises my ammonia levels higher than what I think can be explained by that. Its a mystery to me.

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
I only do 2 to 3 water changes a year on my planted 29 gallon, unless I'm doing something to the tank to cause mulm to get stirred up. Then I'll do another one for that.

-----
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i do water changes about every 6 -8 weeks about 25% but i top up about 2g every 2 - 3 days. Between the filtration and the plants everything is fine... i dont test for anything but ph and then thats only when i do water changes but my fish are breeding and my plants are growing everything looks happy and healthy so i dont bother doing anything different.

I think farming duckweed in my tank is mostly responsible for removing anything bad from the water and my chooks and duck love the treat every now and then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
I always look forward to my weekly water changes
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snafuspyramid View Post
Why do we do water changes?

1. To keep nitrate levels down.
2. To stop fertilizer build-up (especially EI)
3. Possibly, to stop growth-suppressing hormones building up (discus).
4. To prevent the build-up of nasty chemicals.

I don't have any of these problems. I dose almost nothing, the plants suck up more nitrate than the tank produces, and I'm not keeping discus. I use various chemical filtration media, which should be much more effective than the mild dilution brought about by water changes.

The tank is a heavily stocked, well filtered, medium light, Excel setup (see profile).

I currently do 20% weekly, but aqadviser suggests I do quite a bit more (and it's usually right).

Should I? Is there any need to increase my water changes if nitrates remain low? Is there any other reason for changing water that should be added to the above list?
Is seems to me that my plants and fish are doing better (algae is suffering too) with 50% weekly water changes. It removes any buildup of dissolved organic compounds. It also resets the fertilizer level so I don't have to test or measure. It just makes it easier to achieve a tank that has nice growth and minimal algae.

Mark
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I'd be happy to not do them. I've never seen a buildup in my mature tank that needed a WC to fix.

I do 50% a week for the fish though. There behavior changes immediately during the refill. They become very energetic. They are always active, occasionally spawning, but when I do a WC they are like kids at the playground.

I assume only oxygen can create that instantaneous effect. I have lots of flow and surface agitation, but clearly there's a difference. So I continue weekly, but don't worry if I miss s week now and then.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish View Post
I always look forward to my weekly water changes
Same here. 50% a week has gotten my Corydoras to breed and neons to grow to 1.5+in!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
It is common to do a large water change in an attempt to induce spawning. As noted many species of fish respond very positively to fresh water.
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
I have tanks both weekly changed and those not touched except for top offs.

What works for you matters.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd be perfectly happy to change 50% of the water every week as well; after all, it's not much more difficult than turning on the hose. Since it's planted, I do minimal vacuuming.

Problem is that I live in Australia. Throwing out 50 gallons of water a week when I don't have to gives me the horrors, I can't help it. I don't have much of a garden.

Thanks for all the responses.

What sort of dissolved organic compounds might I need to worry about building up? Aren't these the type of thing that Purigen will take care of?
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
people simply use the answer to keep nitrates down.... that's not the only reason for water changes. there are dozens of organic compounds that are the end results of waste breaking down in our aquariums, nitrates are just one of the easiest to test, so is used by most fish keepers as a way to test for buildup. not nearly as accurate in a heavily planted tank since the plants consume the nitrates, but a lot of the other organic simply sit there.

discus aren't the only fish that use hormones to slow the growth of competition. several other species do as well, just maybe not to as spectacular a level as discus.

larger water changes can help maintain a balance in your water parameters keeping them stable. where smaller water changes just slow the change. depending on influx versus export you wind up with a lowly stacking scale of parameters building untill you get "the crash" (be it appearance of algae, unexplained fish deaths etc). there is no simple explanation why some tanks can seem to go indefinitely on little to no water changes and other seem to require more. Often IMO its merely the cumulation of un-testables when you have several factors, that alone wouldn't be a problem, with less than ample water changes you get a low build up to failure levels.

and there is also inorganic build ups from heavy metals, and other things in water supplies. if your using the same water to top off that your using for water changes you are accumulating even more due to top off only adding and evaporation removing nothing but water so everything that is in your top off water stays. you would be amazed at the trace amounts of such things as petroleums, medications, and other nasties found in municipal water supplies. whikle safe for human consumption at the levels they are found can slowly accumulate over time in a closed environment like our tanks building up to fish fatal levels.

I created a very simple water change table a couple years ago that showed the results of various amounts of water changes on a given parameter, it was amazing that some water changes people were considering sufficient werent lowering or maintaining the overall content of the water they were simply slowing the build up rate, and this is where it grets people in trouble, they see "my nitrates are fine, but my fish are dying, but they have been fine for 7 months" and its simply because it took 7 months for the factors to build to toxic levels.

Unfortunatly when I crashed out my computer I lost all my articles and tables I had created on aquarium husbandry, most of it marine tank related but a lot of the information goes both ways.

just my 2 cents

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkprZ View Post
Unfortunatly when I crashed out my computer I lost all my articles and tables.
At it the truth (machine failures) started using USB external HD's for backups but not before a ton of stuff was corrupted.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Water changes are also helpful to keep levels up. Water with a low kh, decent fish load and no water changes can see kh drop along with ph pretty quick. I'm not sure of the kh down under so this may not apply to you

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode