Please Experts... What next?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Please Experts... What next??

This is my first try at a higher-tech tanks and from everything I've been reading as a lurker here leads me to believe things are not bad and could be much better. None of my plants are dying, but none are growing great either.

It's a standard 29 gallon (30"x12" footprint)

I'm running pressurized co2 with a red sea regulator and needle valve and a glass/ceramic diffuser, and the drop checker is constant green. I run it 24/7 and the fish have been completely unaffected.

I'm using 4 24w T5HO bulbs, 2x10000k, 1 6000k, one that doesn't say - it's purplish in colour and just says stuff about being good for plants.

The substrate is about 3 inches of ecocomplete.

I'm currently dosing 2ml of seachem flourish every 3 days.

Algae growth is constant but not problematic - it's a fuzzy, bright green, fairly stubborn type algae.

Now the plants are doing well, bright green and sprite, but I don't feel there is enough growth happening, in somecases not at all.

---
What I bought as dwarf hairgrass I now believe to be pygmy chain sword - it is in good condition and growing in steadily but gradually.

I have a couple types of anubius which are maintaining ok, but no new growth and the one new leaf I've gotten from them is all curled up.

I have a melon sword that grows in red leaves that turn green - this is the most successful plant in the tank - I had to prune it of most of it's leaves but it's got several new ones growing in - but I don't know if it is normal for the new leaves to come in rippled - the few mature leaves it has are flat.

I have corkscrew valisneria which is nice and green and not growing at all, never mind spreading.

I have a fairly scrawny brown wendtii that is existing fine but not growing new foliage or spreading.

The scrawny green crypt of some sort is doing pretty good, with some new leaves filling in, though the existing leaves also seem a bit crumpled looking.

The sagittaria platyphylla is doing well so far, no new growth but also quite new to the tank.
--

The whole thing has been going for about 2 weeks with the co2 running - maybe I'm just being impatient?

So any thoughts on improvements I can make for better growth will be appreciated, or some words of reassurance that my impatience is the only real problem here. Thanks to everyone for their help so far, browsing through past posts has provided lots of good info for me.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention my water perameters - ph 7.5, gh 180, kh 180, all very stable so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Pri
Planted Member

Any photo of your tank?

I'm not one of the experts you are looking for...

My planted tank https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myTanks/2076-Pri.html
My Cichlid tank https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myTanks/2075-Pri.html
My DIY project Journal https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...y-project.html
My Betta Pico https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...nted-pico.html
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't think that's enough fertilizer for such a massive amount of light. You may want to think about diffusing your co2 in other ways also. You can inject moremco2 during the photoperiod that way, but if you're maxing it out during the day, you'll definitely want to shut it off when the lights go out.

Flourish works ok as a trace supplement, but N P and K are too low to sustain high light growth.

Keep in mind also that some of your plants, anubias, crypts, etc don't grow quite as fast as most stem plants.

Replying to this post in no way indicates that I consider myself to be an expert.8P

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm loving the diffuser and by the drop checker results it seems to be working great. Any recommendations on additional fertilizer, or even replacement ferts instead of the seachem stuff? By expert I just mean someone who can speak from some experience, you don't need a PHD lol.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
All of the plants you mention are slow grower anyway. You can already see the effects of goodness appearing in the crumpling of the leaves on the sword and crypt. This is normal for most tpyes. I agree that you need to start a fert regime. 2 weeks is just not a very long time at all, especially on a new tank. They typically take 4-6 weeks to settle in if theyre brand new. New plants usually require an acclimation period of a few weeks. Some grow w/o a hiccup but most take a little while to get used to their new environment and parameters.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks so far. Also I put some picks up on this site of how the tank is sitting right now.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
You are using a lot of light and agree that your fert levels are too low. You need to dose NPK in addition to micronutrients. The Flourish you are using is used to dose micronutrients.

Never assume your CO2 levels are adequate despite having a green drop checker (you are using 4 dKH water in your drop checker aren't you?) green only means you are in the "safe but adequate" ballpark.

I would guarantee that your CO2 levels are too low for the amount of light you are using. Why... because you are able to leave the CO2 on 24/7 without stressing or harming your fish. The kind of CO2 levels needed for a high light tank are high enough that without turning off CO2 at night your fish would be negatively effected.

There is absolutely no need to run CO2 at night. Put your CO2 rig on a timer and work on slowly tweaking up the levels. Do it slowly and don't make increases if you are not going to be around to watch the fish. One small increase every few days is the safest way and gives the plants time to respond.

Agree that two week is too short a time to see your plants take off.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
^^^^+2 on the Captns response.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I think another good question is, is he using the 4dkh solution in the drop checker ? Or using aquarium water like most directions tell you to for some reason. A lot of newcomers to co2 do this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
I think another good question is, is he using the 4dkh solution in the drop checker ? Or using aquarium water like most directions tell you to for some reason. A lot of newcomers to co2 do this.
It blows my mind that manufacturers do this. Not only is it wrong, but you'd think they'd jump at the chance to sell you "baking soda water" at 4 dollars an ounce.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks a lot guys. I feel a little goofy having used aquarium water. Anyway, can anyone verify truth to this DYI for 4dkh I found on a google search:

Add 6 grams of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) to one liter of distilled water. This gives you one liter of water with a KH of 200 dKH. Then take 10 ml of that water and mix with 490 ml of distilled water (a dilution of 1 in 50) and you get 500 ml of 4 dKH water.

If I start dosing with other flourish products (phosphorus, potassium,nitrogen) would it help for those macro nutrients I'm missing? though I'm starting to look at ordering dry ferts online for now I need something good and quick, even if expensive.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You could use this method for making 4 dKH water: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...tml#post801218 You don't need great accuracy, so this should work fine.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode