New to the planted tank forum, and planted tanks in general. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to the planted tank forum, and planted tanks in general.

Hello,

I was recommended to this site by a member. Unfortunatey, I couldn't give them credit for the invitation because I don't know there username for this forum. I come from Tropical Fish Keeping Forums.

I am planning to setup a 55g low-tech South American Amazon/Tetra tank. Here is a link to my current thread on Tropical Fish Keeping; http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/c...n-tetra-56575/.

You can post what you think.

I am excited to join this forum, as I have heard alot of great things about it. I guess I will see y'all around the forum.

Tetra42
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I looked over it quickly and the one thing that stood out to me is the number of fish you want in total. Something like 45? thats an awful lot of bio load for even a 55. Even though they are small fish. especially if you're only going to be able to afford basic filtration. I think you're better off sticking with larger packs, but fewer types.

10-12 neons
10-12 (another school of something)
5-6 cory cats
and a small group of dwarf cichlids (almost all will live peacefully with all of your tetra ideas)

this would easily be fully stocked.

on your list you have 6 or 7 different types of tetras, they won't all school together and you'll end up with traffic jams in the middle of the tank. if won't look very organized. in my 40 gallon I have a group of 13 neons and to me its far more attractive/impressive than 3 different, smaller groups of tetras.

planted tanks tend to be about the entire scene, with fish acting only as compliments to the layout of plants, rocks, driftwood, etc. stuffing it with fish tends to detract from the overall look of a planted tank.

but definitely do what you want for fish stocking and over time you'll learn what looks more appealing to you. just my quick two cents.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
By far the most important decision you have to make in setting up a planted tank is the lighting. If you don't want to spend the money and the time to use pressurized CO2, you need to stick to low to low medium light. For a 55 gallon tank that can be a single tube T5HO light, on the fixture feet, or a single 96 watt AH Supply PC light fixture, right at the top of the tank, or a 2 bulb T5NO fixture sitting on top of the tank. Don't make the mistake of believing the more light the better - it isn't.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode