Stocking a 29g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Stocking a 29g

Well I'm pretty sure Im getting an EBI for christmas (Or Ill just buy one myself if I dont) and I was wondering what I should do with my current tank. I currently have a 29g with RCS only. I was thinking of putting all of my shrimp into the EBI and then getting some fish for my 29g instead of going shrimp only. I want something like a pair of larger fish like bolivian rams, or maybe even something as small as those little colorful apistos (I think?). So I need some help deciding what to do with a planted 29g.I really like south american fish too, like discus for example but those probably wouldn't work right? I am looking for something that's not too expensive and rare that if something goes wrong and it dies, im not going to be extremely pissed. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I would have to say gbrs. But that is only be sued hey are my dream fish for when I get a tank large enough. Not sure, but you might be able to do angels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
I would go with Bolivian Rams over the Germans.

-----
Brad

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's what I was thinking they are pretty cheap in this store by me . Any recommendations for schooling fish to accompany them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Fluval EBI Pimp #1
Ehfipimp #449
Custom Built PC
Canon Fanboy

- Check out my photos
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
i have 2 Bolivians, and a school of about 17-18 neons in my 29g. the rams will almost always be at the bottom. the neons hang out in the middle. any small tetra would be fine as tankmates. corys are a pretty good choice too.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your tank is actually one of the reasons why I want to try bolivians your tank is beautiful.

Fluval EBI Pimp #1
Ehfipimp #449
Custom Built PC
Canon Fanboy

- Check out my photos
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
I'd go for some Cardinal Tetras. I have some in my 29 and they school together. Maybe get some marbled hatchets for the top of the water.

-----
Brad

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumlee View Post
Your tank is actually one of the reasons why I want to try bolivians your tank is beautiful.

the bolivains are actually a really cool fish. i'm really glad i tried them. and thanks!

What would Honey Badger do?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Most Apistos are about the same size as a ram (There's some variation of course, depending on what species you get). A 29 gallon tank would be the perfect size tank to hold a pair of either apistos or rams. Other than spawning sites, their behavior is pretty similar. There's a few apistos out there that are a bit more aggressive toward each other, but otherwise, care is pretty similar. In a tank that size, you're likely only going to want a single pair. Certain species can be kept as harems, but the females are going to squabble. Contrary to common conjecture, you don't have to have super soft, acidic water.

Rams are usually more easily found locally than most apistos, so unless you want to mail order, I'd suggest going with them. Either fish will be fine with most small, schooling fish. They really are only aggressive towards other cichlids. They'll spend 99% of their time in the bottom half of the tank, so any mid-topwater fish is a good compliment. They aren't shrimp safe by any stretch of the imagination however. I keep amano shrimp with them, but have seen them bite them a few times.

A 29 gallon tank is too small for discus in my opinion.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
Most Apistos are about the same size as a ram (There's some variation of course, depending on what species you get). A 29 gallon tank would be the perfect size tank to hold a pair of either apistos or rams. Other than spawning sites, their behavior is pretty similar. There's a few apistos out there that are a bit more aggressive toward each other, but otherwise, care is pretty similar. In a tank that size, you're likely only going to want a single pair. Certain species can be kept as harems, but the females are going to squabble. Contrary to common conjecture, you don't have to have super soft, acidic water.

Rams are usually more easily found locally than most apistos, so unless you want to mail order, I'd suggest going with them. Either fish will be fine with most small, schooling fish. They really are only aggressive towards other cichlids. They'll spend 99% of their time in the bottom half of the tank, so any mid-topwater fish is a good compliment. They aren't shrimp safe by any stretch of the imagination however. I keep amano shrimp with them, but have seen them bite them a few times.

A 29 gallon tank is too small for discus in my opinion.
A LFS by me has a pair of them. Im going to look into that.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I had 4 discus in my old 29. Heavily planted Ada substrate and there were two that spawned non stop. As long as you would pick plants that like warmer water (really all plants pretty much will be fine in 82-84 deg water. I had a nice school of rummynose with them. Also had some khulis too.

Pretty sure you won't do discus (unless you are lucky like I am and have the hook up at a local fish store) because if the cost to procure them. But contrary to what most ppl (who have never even tried) will tell you it can be done and done well.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I do a pair of Kribensis with a 8 kuhli loaches, 8 hengal rasboras, and 4 flag fish and works nicely. I wouldn't do Discus in this size a tank, they get pretty big.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Glo-lite tetras would be a nice schooling fish, they have a little color, but not enough to take away form your accent fish. Mainly clearish tan with a nice little orange shiny line down each side.

The orange looks much better in person.

I also like the bleeding heart tetras.

"A fish tank isn't a pet, it's a t.v. that you gotta feed."
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay so here's what I ended up with.

15-18 glo light tetras
3 Mid sized Angels
2 Kribs
1 Lone GBR (he was from one of my old tanks and I really want to keep him...actually, I think its a her)
2 Otos

The kribs are new but they dont seem to bother the angels. I know this is overstocked, If I get rid of the angels do you think my tank would be okay, or can I keep the angels.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
As long as you stay on top of the water parms you should be ok, but removing the angels would be a good idea.

Will work for shrimpz.......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode