• 2 Post By PlantedRich
  • 2 Post By houseofcards
  • 2 Post By Kubla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Emersed plants on wood at the surface

Would it be possible to grow something like Anubias or Buce on this small stump of wood just below the waterline? I'd love for the leaves to be out of the water with the roots/rhizome submerged

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Absolutely. I'm new to emersed type growth, but what has worked thus far is to position it just under the surface of the water and let it transition as it grows out of the water. Even stems that were emersed grown withered some when I put them in a new emersed container after shipping. I laid the stems down and they put out roots and new stems coming upward from the emersed substrate

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think the answer will be, "certainly" but then there are some things that have to be done to make it work? I had a struggle with an anubia which refuses to grow and got black spots so that I went through all kinds of fun looking for a nutrient problem. Long story, I decided it was do or die and cut all the leaves off. At that point the anubia which had never done much at all, suddenly grew so well that the top stuck up above the water! That's when things went wrong as it dried out too much from getting too close to the lights. So how to light it "enough" but still not dry it, will have to be figured? As I wanted a normal fully in the water plant, I moved it to a deeper tank where it now prospers but you will have a different question. Good luck and enjoy the trial!
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I think the answer will be, "certainly" but then there are some things that have to be done to make it work? I had a struggle with an anubia which refuses to grow and got black spots so that I went through all kinds of fun looking for a nutrient problem. Long story, I decided it was do or die and cut all the leaves off. At that point the anubia which had never done much at all, suddenly grew so well that the top stuck up above the water! That's when things went wrong as it dried out too much from getting too close to the lights. So how to light it "enough" but still not dry it, will have to be figured? As I wanted a normal fully in the water plant, I moved it to a deeper tank where it now prospers but you will have a different question. Good luck and enjoy the trial!
Very interesting. Were the new leaves that grew emersed different looking? Do you remember how long it took to put out the new growth?

Twin high tech 75's -
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Other than larger and more healthy/robust, the leaves appeared to be much the same. First one burned as it was too close to the light and I moved the plant to a deeper tank before the second leaf got out of the water. Best info I found is an idea that anubia can't be split down to too small and then recover. Second theory is that there was some form of "blight" which was removed when I cut all the leafs off. That is something that does work in the garden at times. Things that won't perform and look to be dying are cut back all the way to the ground and suddenly grow into nice plants!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Other than larger and more healthy/robust, the leaves appeared to be much the same. First one burned as it was too close to the light and I moved the plant to a deeper tank before the second leaf got out of the water. Best info I found is an idea that anubia can't be split down to too small and then recover. Second theory is that there was some form of "blight" which was removed when I cut all the leafs off. That is something that does work in the garden at times. Things that won't perform and look to be dying are cut back all the way to the ground and suddenly grow into nice plants!

Reviving this thread... Most of the emersed setups I've seen online involve some kind of closed lid to keep humidity. I use an small Dennerle LED that sits maybe 4 inches above the surface, do you think this would be a problem with the Anubias drying out? If you could suggest a plant which would do better, that would be great Maybe Buce?

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I might guess that the anubia would dry too much if it grows out above the water and under the LED as that is pretty close to what I had. Never meant to have any above water, so no help here on what other plants might do. I've now got that plant in a much deeper tank and it seems to be doing as it should.
The blind sow finds one more acorn, perhaps???
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:09 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlloydjohn View Post
Reviving this thread... Most of the emersed setups I've seen online involve some kind of closed lid to keep humidity. I use an small Dennerle LED that sits maybe 4 inches above the surface, do you think this would be a problem with the Anubias drying out? If you could suggest a plant which would do better, that would be great Maybe Buce?
Yes you would have to have a lid/wrap to keep moisture in at least in the beginning or if someone was available you could get buy on misting it several times a day, but that would depend on the light and other factors. Moss I have found will move from submersed to emersed since the water seem to travel from the fronds that are underwater to the ones above.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Yes you would have to have a lid/wrap to keep moisture in at least in the beginning or if someone was available you could get buy on misting it several times a day, but that would depend on the light and other factors. Moss I have found will move from submersed to emersed since the water seem to travel from the fronds that are underwater to the ones above.

Moss would be my first suggestion too. None of my buces transitioned to emersed even in closed high humidity setups. I have not yet tried anubias.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Moss would be my first suggestion too. None of my buces transitioned to emersed even in closed high humidity setups. I have not yet tried anubias.
Yep, the moss is the easiest since the submersed keeps the emersed moist. This grew above the water line without any assistance from me.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 07:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
A lot of my Anubias are suction cupped to the side of my tall tank. They grow out of the water quite a bit. Most of the leaves stay ok looking but it's partially enclosed which probably helps with the humidity. I also have some Hygrophila corymbosa Angustifolia that I'm constantly having to prune back down below the water line. That stuff grows seriously fast. The leaves get discolored but I think it's because they push up against the light.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
A lot of my Anubias are suction cupped to the side of my tall tank. They grow out of the water quite a bit. Most of the leaves stay ok looking but it's partially enclosed which probably helps with the humidity. I also have some Hygrophila corymbosa Angustifolia that I'm constantly having to prune back down below the water line. That stuff grows seriously fast. The leaves get discolored but I think it's because they push up against the light.
It never occurred to me to suction cup anubias to the glass... that is sheer brilliance. How are you connecting the anubias rhizome to the suction cup?

Twin high tech 75's -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode