That beautiful grass carpet - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
That beautiful grass carpet

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about planted tanks before I start one. Can someone tell me how you get that lush bed of grass across the whole bottom of the tank?

I was looking thru a picture journal of a 46 bowfront tank by Unirdna and it had this truly incredible grass carpet. Early in the journal it looks like it was started from just 2 simple pots of hairgrass. How does it go from 2 pots sitting on top of the gravel to such a masterpiece at the end of the journal? https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...light=bowfront

Could somone tell me what kinds of grass would be easy to grow and how you actually plant the stuff? How much do you buy initially?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ahkuma; 12-10-2004 at 01:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If you provide nutrients and keep the tank balanced the plants will grow. It's actually that simple. And remember light is a nutrient also. And most all plants are easy to grow if you provide their nutritional needs.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 05:12 PM
baj
Planted Member

Here are my before/after picks, little less than 3 months apart.

Before:

After:

It went from what you see in the first image to pretty much the area coveraage now in about 2 1/2 weeks. I maintain 10ppm (usuallly 15 or 20ppm) nitrates and 1ppm (range from 1-3ppm) of phosphates, with flourish, flourish xl, flourish iron every other day and K and Mg at water change. the tank is 18g with 85W of PC lighting, 1 65W 6,700k and 2 10W 5,500k.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I am trying out dwarf hairgrass for the first time, and I can't believe the results. 10 days ago I bought a pot of it at Petsmart for $3.50 I split it up as best I could and planted it. In about 4 days I uprooted a piece and the roots had already gotten big, now I see new plants popping up everywhere.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Baj:
What kind of grass is that you planted and what are you using as a substrate? After looking at that second picture I can't wait to try it myself.

So you just buy it in bunches and then break it up and spread it out around the tank?

Urkevitz:
what kind of setup do you run?

I would like to start out kind of low tech. Hopefully I can get some decent results.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 02:53 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Unfortunately, low tech and a low grass/groundcover don't get along too well. To get it growing like that, lotsa light, CO2, and nutrients will be needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 02:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
i'm growing dwarf hairgrass VERY slowly. In my 12 gallon with no co2, stock lighting (24watts 6500k) and no extra ferts, I am growing alot of hair algae all over the dwarf hairgrass also, trying to find a Flordia flag fish to take care of that problem.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 07:36 AM
baj
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahkuma
Baj:
What kind of grass is that you planted and what are you using as a substrate? After looking at that second picture I can't wait to try it myself.

So you just buy it in bunches and then break it up and spread it out around the tank?

I would like to start out kind of low tech. Hopefully I can get some decent results.
As you can see from the before photo, I have lileopsis novae-zealandae and eleocharis acicularis (e parvulus grows to about 2") which grows to about 5", if I dont give a haircut, in a week. The e acicularis outgrew the lileopsis, it completely swamped it as you can see in the after picture. I started with 2 pots of each.

I personally think you should go in for a high tech approach to grow a grass carpet quickly and densely, you need high light which means you need co2 injection which means you need to dose macros and micros.

The tank is 18g which has the same footprint as a 10g.The substrate is eco-complete+flourite. The lights are 6700k 65W CF and 2 10W 5,5000k CF, DIY CO2 between 35-45ppm, dose Macros every other day and micros on every other day to within limits of the standard levels (or at least i try to)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 03:00 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Baj,

What is the red broad leaf plant?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeItUp
Baj,

Bump.......someone please?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Looks like Ludwigia Glandulosa.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeItUp
Baj,

Alternanthera Reineckii would be my guess.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 12:03 AM
baj
Planted Member

sorry for the late reply, it is L Glandulosa (perrennis....peruensis...peterparkeritis)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the ID

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode