Angry angelfish lol - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angry angelfish lol

Interesting article that just came across my feed, I apologize if someone has already posted this...

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/...ter-less-often

Makes me wonder how many other species are affected by this phenomena and what it means for us as aquarists? Maybe this type of research will help determine best practices for the keeping of various species with regards to filtration/water quality that previously haven't been bred in captivity, or otherwise difficult to keep?

I have MTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 09:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Interesting,

...but the problem with studies like this is that your fish tank isn't in a sterile lab. There are two many variables at play. So let's say someone changes less water, but now you might have issues with organic and fertilizer levels being too high. If these levels increase you might experience plant loss, fish loss and algae issues, something they don't have to worry about in a controlled experiment.

I find most of these studies are not applicable to the hobby.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yes, lower organic/bacterial load increases the frequency of natural spawning behavior. Is that something those who have kept cichlids in aquaria are surprised at? I think not, it signify's healthy cichlid behavior. When a cichlid ( I have raised discus for 15 years, very close to an angel-fish), is healthy it is induced to express reproductive behavior which in turn increases behavior of aggression towards con-specifics. These researchers act like they have just discovered what aquarists who have raised cichlids for years have known for decades.
In reality, it shows how under-researched fish in the aquarium are. It is really quite sad and, in many ways, is why some "myths" of fish-keeping continue to make the rounds.... repeated as "mantras" when they have no actually bearing to the truth.

We need a merging of minds... the practical experience of aquarists in conjunction with the biological/chemical/ diagnostic methods of science to put the hobby forward when it comes to fish-keeping.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Interesting,

...but the problem with studies like this is that your fish tank isn't in a sterile lab. There are two many variables at play. So let's say someone changes less water, but now you might have issues with organic and fertilizer levels being too high. If these levels increase you might experience plant loss, fish loss and algae issues, something they don't have to worry about in a controlled experiment.

I find most of these studies are not applicable to the hobby.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not advocating fewer water changes... my comment was more aimed at the theory and methods of filtration more so than that.

For example, with species like angelfish or others that we find to be subject to this social hierarchy based on chemical indicators in the water, perhaps the method for water changes and/or filtration/filter media would change. Instead of doing regular partial water changes you would have a drip setup. Or rather than a canister filter that sucks water out of the water column you'd use a skimmer and sump so as not to overly disturb the water chemistry in the immediate vicinity of the fish.

I have MTS

Last edited by mrjbacon; 01-14-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: grammar
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I fully agree that the subject needs more work/study but then there are so many others subjects that also need study, that one which effects such a small group as us is unlikely to get lots of added attention any time soon. With the current cuts in the new tax code, it is more likely to get even less attention as there will be damn few grad students wanting to do it for free! I was out to a dig doing study on a known mammoth site this week where they are now covering them as they have nobody with credentials to do the work. They are going on the theory that work may be done at some point in the future but for now they will be cutting back even though they have developed a new way of dating things they find and were really excited to get the info as it can apply to so many other digs.
The odds of finding trained people to do a study on tropical fish? About half what it was before and not likely to go up any time soon!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode