Co2 Regulator at 2000psi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 Regulator at 2000psi

Hi I just filled my tank ista co2 regulator I turned it on and opened the valve itís at 2100psi is that normal? If I try to close the valve halfway it reduces the psi by opening and bubble count valve and releasing but next morning it will be at 0 but if I open all the way the valve it works fine? The co2 is constant and the drop checker is like green all the time? Is it bad if itís at 2000 psi? And obviously this drops overtime as co2 leaves the tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9BA64DFF-3085-4F92-9301-720A8A0ED6CE_1515866259629.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	819050  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Yes...if the pressure is actually at 2000 psi something is wrong. It should be at 800-1000 psi. I thought you already took care of this issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I did , next morning everything was at 0 nothing coming out of the tank, then I had to open the valve more but the psi is high

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds like a defective regulator.

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for helping me ! May I know what is the point of the regulator? If Iím getting the desired co2 into the tank? Does it matter what the dials show?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks for helping me ! May I know what is the point of the regulator? If Iím getting the desired co2 into the tank? Does it matter what the dials show?
The point of the regulator is to take a high pressure from the source...in this case a tank...and reduce it to a working pressure. A CO2 tank should be at 800-1000 psi. That's too much pressure to use through a metering device so that pressure has to be reduced to the proper working pressure which for our use is generally in the 25-50 psi range. 2000 psi is not correct or safe tank pressure.

Quote:
If Iím getting the desired co2 into the tank? Does it matter what the dials show?
Quote:
next morning everything was at 0 nothing coming out of the tank
Evidently you're not if it's dropping to 0 with nothing coming out of the tank.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:23 PM
Banned

Are you sure they filled it with CO? Check with the company that filled the bottle. Also ask if they have other gases that they sell. If they only have CO2 the bottle is probably filled with CO2. Some bottles with other gases such as helium and O2 typically are filled to 3000psi. If you are sure the bottle is filled with CO2 then other possibility is that the pressure gauge may have failed or is not reading reading accurately.

Many regulators can handle pressure this high but not all. Without any specs for the regulator there is no way to know if it can handle this pressure or not.

Try this Turn off the gas bottle valve. Then turn the regulator adjustment (black knob) to the left until it doesn't rotate anymore. This will set the output pressure to zero. Open the needle valve all the way (the small valve with the hose attached). The regulator is now set for zero output pressure with he needle valve open. Then open the bottle valve. The You should get no gas or very little coming out o the tube and the left pressure gauge should read 2000psi. Then slowly adjust the regulator black valve until you get a slow flow of gas. Then turn off the gas bottle valve. The (left gauge in your picture) should slowly drop down to zero If the gas is flowing very slowly it may take several minutes. IF the left gauge does slowly drop then the gauge is working.

Then adjust the needle valve to the full closed position and turn the bottle valve back on. Open the needle valve just enough to get gas flowing out of the tube again. The flow should be very slow . Adjust the black knob on the regulator until the output gauge reads about 20psi. At this point the pressure should stay at 20psi. Then adjust the needle valve until you get about 5 bubbles a second of flow. The output pressure should still read 20psi even though the flow through the needle valve increased. Any additional adjustments to the needle valve should increase or or decrease the bubble rate but the output pressure should stay at 20psi.

If you do the above and the gauges respond as I have indicated the regulator is probably still working. However if the pressure goes up or down with changes to the needle valve the regulator is damaged and should be replaced.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wow so confused now sorry can you tell me again which valve? As you can see I have 2 one that says the +, - at the bottom and the right side where the tube connects, if I close the bottom one fully and open the tube one it will both go to 0 then if I open the bottom one just abit I can control the psi however if I donít open fully by next morning it will be at 0, but if I open fully it goes to the red section and working normally?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1515888837292.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	819170  

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Red opens the tank. Should be open all the way.

Blue is to adjust working pressure which shows on the second gauge, should be adjusted to between 25-50 psi. Some go a little lower. Some maybe higher. Depends on your equipment.

Purple is needle valve to adjust bubble count.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
My vote is faulty high pressure gauge, if working pressure gauge is correct.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok the blue is not a valve? Itís not adjustable hereís a pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1515898336015.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	819218  

Name:	image_1515898365084.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	819226  

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So just found out this regulator you canít adjust working pressure thatís not a valve it has a fixed working pressure
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
So just found out this regulator you can’t adjust working pressure that’s not a valve it has a fixed working pressure
Technically, yes, but odds are under the green cap is an allen screw to adj the outlet pressure

BUT THAT is not the issue.. 20000psi is, arguably, too high of pressure..
so either the tank is overfilled
the gauge is malfunctioning
or the tank is really really warm........
The gauge has a RED ZONE for a reason................
The red "valve" should be full on or full off.. nothing in-between........
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Media/...structions.pdf

http://www.istaproducts.com/co2-refill/

THERE is a chart in the above showing how much your tank weighs and what it should weigh at the proper fill weight..
Use a scale and check your tank.. Vent off some to meet spec..........

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-14-2018 at 02:52 AM. Reason: edit
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My room temperature is 23 degrees Celsius , tank is 1 litre I weighed it , it shows around 33oz , which is around 1 litre. Then most likely the gauge is faulty ? Because Iím touching the tank itís regular temp but obviously not cold like when it was filled . But the working pressure goes down slowly in about 6 months it will go to 0 and the tank will be empty
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
My room temperature is 23 degrees Celsius , tank is 1 litre I weighed it , it shows around 33oz , which is around 1 litre. Then most likely the gauge is faulty ? Because Iím touching the tank itís regular temp but obviously not cold like when it was filled . But the working pressure goes down slowly in about 6 months it will go to 0 and the tank will be empty
1L tank w' CO2 weight.............3.62 lbs. or 57.92 oz.
Empty tank:
2.12 lbs
Max #'s of CO2 1.50 lbs (24 oz.)

Just so we are on the same page..
And yes it looks like the high pressure gauge may be shot.
When th solenoid is off NEITHER gauge should change, at least not rapidly.
Means something is leaking.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode