• 2 Post By PlantedRich
  • 2 Post By ipkiss
  • 2 Post By AlGee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I need help with a stunted Oscar tank.

OK so I maintain a clinics tank they have in the waiting room. I feel bad for this Oscar. it is a albino tiger. But he is living in a 55g he is about 6" tip to tip. according to the girls he is about 8-10 Years old. I have Pleaded and begged to have them upgrade the tank. i have begged to let me take the fish. I have explained every reason I can for them to get rid of the fish, or upgrade the tank. but they don't care, I get out voted. They called me to take care of the tank, but don't want to listen to my advise. Now I am challanged with another problem. They want to add more fish in the tank. They said they had a bloodparot and a catfish. and they both died. (thats why they called me) I think its because the Oscar killed them both.

Now they want to put in more fish, I have told them no.. I have said that the Oscar is just going to end up killing it. or it could get bullied and stressed. they don't want to listen to me. i at least convinced them to let me pick the fish. because they were talking about getting pacu's or some other type of big fish. so if i can't convince them to upgrade the tank and or not put fish in, I can at least minimize they type of fish they get. So i was thinking of something that won't bother him, that can handle his attacks possibly. maybe a bottom dweller. I want to avoid cichlids, because I can't think of any other then a fire mouth that might be able to handle him, and thats due to his stunted growth. I am at whits in. I need help from the Fish tank community.

Unfortunately Because it is a 55g. I just can't think of anything that can go into this tank with this oscar, that won't cause some problems. so the only silver lining this Oscar has is I am taking care of his home now. So i can at least give him the best care i can with my hands tied behind my back.

Everyone follows a Trend!
Their is always light at the end of the tunnel, That's when the train Hit's You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Tell them the Oscar has an infectious disease and it can be transmitted to humans (Fish tuberculosis) and that you have to take the fish away for treatment. Call them back a couple days later and tell them the fish died.

Seriously though...sounds like a bad situation. I hate ignorant people that just won't listen. Especially when they call you for help and still won't listen. They obviously don't know anything but won't take the advise of someone that does...stupid people make my head hurt and I deal with them all the time at work so I pretty much live with a constant headache...lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nubster; 01-12-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: *(&%^^&$&*
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
When faced with items which I perceive to be impossible to live with, I walk away and forget it. It is certainly not going to make any sense to stay in what you feel is a bad situation, so something has to change. Do you want to suffer or do you let nature take it's course and the fish suffer. Those seem to be your two choices so it is up to you to decide how to get out of this situation. After all is said and done, you did volunteer to be there, so now you have a problem.
A good life lesson? Don't let other folks problems become your problems! If you do, you will be a very busy, unhappy person.
Bandit1200 and Bandit1200 like this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
^same. On a tragic up side, if/when the tank does crash, maybe your advice will be better respected. I feel you're headed towards a situation where you'll be blamed for the tank conditions, even though you aren't able to make the correct decisions.

clinic member - "Why'd the clinic tank crash?"
employee - "oh, so-and-so didn't maintain it properly..."
you - Very frustrated.

Show some images of planted tanks and try to "redo" the tank with plants and different fish. Then maybe you could take the Oscar?

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I wish I could walk away. but they are paying me to maintain it. I have already rescaped the tank. took out the fake blue substrate and put in driftwood. I am going to continue to try to convince them to do something different. but I also care about the fish. I may see if they will do a guppy tank instead. So i don't know. I got a few weeks before they go and buy fish with out me. But I'm trying to pick the lesser of to evils. either way I'm not sure how long the oscar is going to live being stunted and the age they say it is. on top of that the tank is so old the silicone is pealing off it with just a slight pressure. so I keep stressing about them replacing the tank before there is a seal bust.

Their is always light at the end of the tunnel, That's when the train Hit's You!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 11:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I need help with a stunted Oscar tank.

Well, I donít know what your situation is, but personally, I feel that walking away means also possibly walking away from jobs where it is not conducive to your mental well being.

I understand people donít always have that luxury, but if you could, itíd be worth some serious consideration to fire your employer. This is why people do career changes sometimes.

I mean donít burn your bridges but stand your ground. Proper maintenance people have contracts that lay out limitations. Itís probably worth your time to realize what some of these limitations are. For example, you canít be expected to keep the tank from busting a leak if they wonít heed your advice to fix it. Thatís like not changing your brakes when your trusted mechanic tells you itís worn.

Well, good luck in your choices and I hope it works out for you!
FuelingFire and FuelingFire like this.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I agree with Vinster, try to get them to switch to a planted tank.
FuelingFire and FuelingFire like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just and update.

I was Able to convice the Doctors office to not get any fish. I tried to get them to do planted tank but they won't give up the oscar. But at least I got them not to get any other fish. So now my job is going to beef up the fish and get some weight on him. but I did warn them the fish won't live that long being stunted and all. So at least they are warned.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode