Tips, criticism, and answers? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tips, criticism, and answers?

Ok so. I grew up with mom having aquariums and a koi pond. I built a 1000 gal. Stock tank koi pond. And I was hooked so I had to get a tank so I had something to do for winter. I've been reading so much my head is spinning. I've got some questions. What I've got so far, I got a 29 gal. Bow front, fluval C4 with only the stock pad, lava rock and c-nodes. I've got 4 common goldfish ( plan is to put them outdoors in a 100 gal stock tank pond this spring). PFS as substrate. BeamsWork EA60 Fspec running about 11 hrs per day. I bought 1 java fern, 1 bacopa, 3 "eel grass, and a couple little red plants all are doing OK java fern putting off little plantlets. My plan is now to clean and re seal my big tank which measures 35 3/4L x 20 1/4T x 18 1/2w. And use the small tank as a breeder tank/quarantine. So far I want low tech. Wondering about lighting been thinking the finnex 24/7 planted plus is this too high? Also stocking levels :mollys, platys, neon tetras, panda corys, and BN plecos. If their all compatible and how many of each is best? It will eventually be fully planted. Got lots of good ideas for plants. Next is filtration, I love my C4 filter and am wondering if I can keep a HOB on the new tank with 1 or 2 power heads. I will get into ferts I'm not ready for all that though. First things first. Thank you for reading and any kind of help anyone has to offer.here is some pics of what I have as of now. Sorry about the book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180110_180638.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	818474  

Name:	20180110_180650.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	818482  

Name:	20180110_180656.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	818490  

Name:	20180110_180713.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	818498  

Name:	20180110_180722.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	818506  

Name:	20180110_180732.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	818514  

Name:	20180110_180747.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	818522  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Your stocking plan looks ok as far as the mix, with the only exception being the mollies. SOME mollies can get a bit nippy. I've had some that were and I've had some that weren't. It's not likely but it is possible.

As far as stocking levels, that's really dependent on you. The more stock you keep, the more maintenance and filtration you will need. I've had happy and healthy tanks that were stocked to levels that would make some peoples heads spin around. Keep in mind that stocking a tank like this demands daily maintenance.

Other than that the only thing I have to add is that looks like some Java Fern stuck in the substrate in one pic. It isn't likely to do well like that, you should pull it out and attach it somewhere where the base of the plant is exposed to the water. Good luck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Java fern cannot be buried. It has to be attached to something like rock or wood. It will die if buried. Use super glue and glue the rhizome to the rock or wood surface or use thread or fishing line to tie it down. It will attach itself fairly quickly and you can remove the string if you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys for the tips, my main reason for burying it was it keeps getting caught on my filter sponge. I got some little rocks that I will attach it to tonight. Any tips about lighting?

Bandit, I was thinking 6 each Molly's and platy. Maybe 10 tetras. Neon or cardinal then 2 each panda Cory and BN pleco, does that sound reasonable?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
Thanks guys for the tips, my main reason for burying it was it keeps getting caught on my filter sponge. I got some little rocks that I will attach it to tonight. Any tips about lighting?

Bandit, I was thinking 6 each Molly's and platy. Maybe 10 tetras. Neon or cardinal then 2 each panda Cory and BN pleco, does that sound reasonable?
Can't say much about the current lights on the market. I made my own setup a while back and it's still going pretty well. I haven't had the need to research much into that subject.

As far as the stocking goes, it all depends on how much time and/or money you want to invest in the maintenance. A bigger/better filter can help offset the bioload from more fish. More frequent water changes along with that will help too. You have to decide how much to time and/or money you want to invest. Keep in mind that those livebearers won't stay at that number for long unless you get all males or all females. I can tell you that from experience.

I had a pair of Mollies that turned into and uncountable horde in my 60 gallon tank. I used to randomly scoop them out once a week and bring them to my LFS and give them as feeders to the big tank of oscars they kept there. That tank was my old saltwater tank with a very large trickle filter that helped a lot with the filtration, but I still changed the water and cleaned out the prefilter almost every day to keep it clean until I had the tank down to a more manageable level again.

One other thing, I would add at least a couple more cories to your list. I haven't kept pandas, but I have a bunch of bronze/albinos and they will do much better in larger groups than 2. I would say at least 5 to start with. My cories leave me eggs all the time. I scrape up and hatch them a couple times a year now instead of every time I see them. I still get some random juvies come out from hiding every now and then even without manuallly hatching them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok I will keep that in mind. Thanks. If anyone else has any idea about lighting or using an HOB with a power head or an air driven filter? I'm just trying to make sure I got what I need before I get the tank set up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I might suggest that eleven hours a day of light will be too much and make too big algae problems. A timer to turn it on and off and then if you want it on while you are there to watch the fish, perhaps break the time down into two sections like morning and night if that fits your schedule?
When choosing filters, there are always good arguments for each type but I now do not use anything but canister filters on my normal routine. One is noise that I do not want. Any HOB, sponge, etc. comes with more noise than a canister. Air pumps are out at my house! With the new models of canisters available, there are many which are coming in pretty close on price. Sunsun is one that I'm now using on several tanks as they come with the newer features and at a nice price. Being able to change out and modify the media is one of the big things for me as well as the far longer time between cleanings. But then that is often a personal choice for what we each like. Some like quick and easy of HOB while others like the more intense cleaning but way less often and the quiet. As a baseline, it might be worth noting that very few change from canisters back to HOB, which seems to indicate they do like them, once tried.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ha, I went home last night and there was a green tint to my water, I guess I'll get a timer asap. I was also looking at the sunsun last night and like the price point and most of the reviews are good. Which model is recommended for a 56 gal tank. I was looking at the HW302. But that says for a 75 gal. Which that model I found on ebay for $32 free shipping

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode