Who has found a big-box LFS that actually isn't bad? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Who has found a big-box LFS that actually isn't bad?

I know the reputation that a lot of the big-box stores have on this forum and others, but has anyone ever come across one that really sticks out in their mind as being a positive experience for having gone there?

For example, there is a PetSmart down the road from where I live that no matter when I go in, all of the fish, and the plants (albeit a limited selection) are always healthy, lively, and looking vigorous. I go in occasionally to see if they get something that you wouldn't normally see in a place like that, and I've never once seen ich, or white-spot, or fin rot, or pop-eye, or any of the other common maladies most often associated with a place like that. Even some species like GBR and otos that are more sensitive to less than ideal water parameters seem to be doing great in their care. I even witnessed some GBR spawning behavior the last time I was there!

Anyone else have any similar experiences like this?

I have MTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've had plenty of experiences like this. My LFS is not a national chain but sucks balls, there are constantly dead fish, plants, and inverts in the tanks; none of the fish seem alive or healthy. I've been to petcos and petsmarts where their animals are well cared for and they're not cranking out sick fish. It all comes down to the employees and managers at the specific locations.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Where I live Petco carries a small amount of planted tank supplies like fluval stratum and stuff.
The PetSmart has a very good selection of tissue culture plants, rare stuff or stuff most people would probably kill but it's cool for me!

Ironically we have a local fish store that is horrible and dirty..
Makes you wanna start your own lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Where I live Petco carries a small amount of planted tank supplies like fluval stratum and stuff.
The PetSmart has a very good selection of tissue culture plants, rare stuff or stuff most people would probably kill but it's cool for me!

Ironically we have a local fish store that is horrible and dirty..
Makes you wanna start your own lol.
You should totally do it. I don't understand the mentality of my terrible local fish store, if you keep the fish alive and healthy then you don't actually have to keep ordering new fish to replace the dead ones. Unfortunately the pet food and supply part of the store is pretty much propping up the rest of the business so they won't go out of business any time soon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode