Paludarium plumbing questions. - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ok reviving this thread with another question. Say I go through with this but then down the road want to raise the water level. Could I use the outflow hole to feed a canister filter? If it did and the canister filter failed I am guessing that would cause a flooded floor.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Ok reviving this thread with another question. Say I go through with this but then down the road want to raise the water level. Could I use the outflow hole to feed a canister filter? If it did and the canister filter failed I am guessing that would cause a flooded floor.
Not sure exactly what "this" is given that you were asking about various things in the thread. But if the general question is can you go from a bulkhead to a canister, then yes. I have that on a formerly marine tank that I'm now using for freshwater. You'll need to come up with the various ABS/PVC parts and you'll have to Frankenstein things together to do whatever it is that you want to do but certainly possible. Or you can just plug the hole in various ways and use the normal canister fittings. The canister is sealed so it can "fail" in various ways without flooding (i.e., you can turn off power no problem, etc.). If the seal or a hose fails, then you could have water. That would be the case with a canister even without the bulkhead or with a sump too depending on how it fails. But catastrophic failure would be rare. More likely is slower leak from a bad seal/leaking fitting.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I guess the main issue would be that if I raise the water level it would be way above bulkhead for the outflow. If I rigged the bulkhead up to a canister and it somehow failed, the fact the bulk head would be lets say 10" below the waterline that 10" of water would end up on the floor due to gravity.

I would imagine that using a canister filter in a more traditional way (not using a bulk head and having the outflow tube coming over the top of the aquarium) if a failure occurred it would break the siphon effect and could not suck the water into the canister to leak out.

Does that make sense?

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
So I guess the main issue would be that if I raise the water level it would be way above bulkhead for the outflow. If I rigged the bulkhead up to a canister and it somehow failed, the fact the bulk head would be lets say 10" below the waterline that 10" of water would end up on the floor due to gravity.

I would imagine that using a canister filter in a more traditional way (not using a bulk head and having the outflow tube coming over the top of the aquarium) if a failure occurred it would break the siphon effect and could not suck the water into the canister to leak out.

Does that make sense?
The typical "hook" for a canister won't break the siphon. Think about it... You can loop some hose over the edge of the tank and you'll pull siphon just fine as long as the canister is below the intake.

I think what I'd worry more about is potential leaking from the bulkhead/plumbing. Most are done more near the waterline so not as much water to lose (assuming same volume anyway).
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No I get the concept of a siphon but if there is a leak in the siphon I would imagine the filter would not function. Like if there is a hook (never heard that term till now) and you disconnected the hose you would leak the water that was currently in the hose and that's it. But in my case you would lose all the water in the tank above the bulkhead.

I guess what I am asking is would this be too risky. I realize it probably would never happen but what if it did.

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
No I get the concept of a siphon but if there is a leak in the siphon I would imagine the filter would not function. Like if there is a hook (never heard that term till now) and you disconnected the hose you would leak the water that was currently in the hose and that's it. But in my case you would lose all the water in the tank above the bulkhead.

I guess what I am asking is would this be too risky. I realize it probably would never happen but what if it did.
I suppose it depends on exactly how and where things fail. But, for example, if I pull the intake at the canister without using whatever cut-off there may be, the siphon will not be broken. The hose will be full of water and assuming that the end is lower than the intake, it will continue to drain just as if I'd started a siphon with the hose. The shape of the "hook" isn't to break siphon, but rather just to fit over the edge of the tank (as the outflow also is formed just typically shorter).

Yes, there is some potential risk and being lower (at least in some sense and some potential cases) increases some potential modes of failure and the amount of water that could be lost in some cases. Whether that's greater or less than some other alternative depends on specifics of how things might fail.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I never thought it would happen to me! I set up the tank and had the nasty air sucking noise even with the low flow in the paludarium. I have my return line plumbed with a tee where one line goes up into the main tank and one line goes back into the sump, the line that goes into the sump has a valve so I could adjust the flow to the main tank. The problem is that that valve is opened all the way up and I still have more flow than I had originally planned for.

If anyone wants to look at the build to get a better idea of the tank/sump here is a link:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ire-crabs.html

I don't think I can live with the noise so I am thinking I have a few options.

1. I could get a smaller pump I have a Danner mag 350 and think I could downgrade. I was worried that if I went smaller I might not have the power to overcome the head pressure. The only problem with this is I bought the pump over a year ago so not sure If I can return it. The pump failed so I am currently waiting for a new one under warranty. The only problem with this route is I am not sure this will solve the problem. I don't need a lot of flow and am thinking the less flow the less air getting sucked down the pipe = less noise.

2. The line that goes into the sump is currently plumbed into a tee that is embedded into the hamberg matten filter in the sump. My thought with this was that this would act as a little trickle filter and provide a little extra filtration. This is definitely not necessary so I thought maybe taking it off would lessen the flow slightly since the water could travel more freely out of the return. Not sure how much of an effect this would cause.

3. I could make a modified durso by plumbing a tee into the bulkhead. From what I could find with a quick search it looks like It would have to be a MPT and 2 slips. The MPT would go into the bulkhead and one slip would be the return to the sump the other slip would be where air would enter. If I tried this could I just leave the second slip completely open or would I need to cap it and use an airline regulator to control the flow of air into the system.

Sorry for the book and hopefully this make sense to someone, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode