• 2 Post By theatermusic87
  • 2 Post By Nubster
  • 2 Post By Nubster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Planted HOB, riparium, emersed set ups

There are some good threads on here about these, but they are years old. I'm converting 5 of my aquaclear filters into planted HOB's. I'm also trying to get some emersed set ups going. I'm sure it is easier than I am making it, but I'm sure most others have questions when they start as well.
I finished my first planted HOB last night. It's an AC50 and I just set it up on my 11.4 Gertrude breeding tank. The AC replaced a 2213 that had been on there for several months. Not only did I want a planted HOB, but I needed to make room for a C02 tank. It is in the cabinet under my 150.
On top of the regular filter sponge I filled a bag with biomedia from the 2213. On top of that I placed a course sponge that I cut to fit. I poked several holes into it and pulled the Ludwigia stems through. I then tied some HC Japan next to it. I cut and shaped some stainless steel mesh to make the spillway. I tried to attach vesicularia mini, but it's mostly just placed on there with a bunch clumped at the "lip" at the end.

I've had a problem with the Gertrudes jumping out so the mesh is necessary until I get some glass cut.
I also installed a 20w fllodlight to light the HOB.

The upper stems of the ludwigia are kind of wilted and laying over so I trimmed them and laid them in other areas to hopefully take root.

For the moment I am out of trimmings. I also need to buy floodlights for the other HOB's and determine how I will mount them.
I have 3 other AC70's and an AC110 I think.
Am I on the right track here?
I will use a moss "spillway" on each HOB, but I was thinking of doing lobelia cardinalis mini and Marsilia Hirsuta on the next sponge.
I will update with progress pics. If anyone would like to share what they have done or pics please do so.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
HC Japan should take off well. I haven't tried ludwigia but have rotalia. Which I imagine would have a similar growth pattern - in which case you are on the right lines laying it down. Those are submersed leaves/stems hence they are floppy and not self supporting, out of the water they'll just dry out. But if you keep the stem just below the surface, you should get new upright growth at the leaf nodes with a sturdier stalk and thicker leaves. The other option would be to cut it into sections with two nodes each and plant them upright and it would again have new growth out of the nodes of emersed.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 01:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

I find the easiest to transition plans are ones that are allowed to grow to the surface and sprout a little bit of emersed growth.

Spillways are a challenge, I've done riccia and baby tears, I've found they collect fine debris in the roots, grow well but can Foster algae growth and eventually kill of the underlying growth that anchors them in place and they slide into the tank

Lots of house plants also adapt well too growing with wet roots. I recommend something viny paired with a more robust stem for good visual contrast as well decent coverage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I love the look of them when they work. I tried but failed. I may give it a go again at some point. I have a huge AC 110 sitting around not doing anything. I'd like to figure out how to cut the flow first but it's a lot of area to grow some plants. Here's my first attempt a few years ago...

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I love the look of them when they work. I tried but failed. I may give it a go again at some point. I have a huge AC 110 sitting around not doing anything. I'd like to figure out how to cut the flow first but it's a lot of area to grow some plants. Here's my first attempt a few years ago...

I suppose we have different interpretations of "failed". Those look pretty good to me!! Why do you say that you failed? Any pitfalls I should anticipate?

Twin high tech 75's -
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 01:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
No...that's pre-fail...lol

I think the biggest pitfall is just plants not adjusting from potted in dirt to wet roots or submersed to emmersed. I think if you start with emmersed grown plants from the start you'll be way ahead of the game. Lighting could be tricky too depending on the plants you use. You can see in my pic I only had the clip-on light and then room light which wasn't kept on all the time. So once my plants got higher than the clip-on they weren't getting much light at all and they kinda suffered. Even next to the window...there's not really much light that came through there. If I had the tank setup in front of a different window I might have had better light. And then came the duckweed and that pretty much ruined the tank. So word of advise...don't use duckweed...lol...duckweed isn't really a plant...it's a disease with no cure.

This is a pic at the point of no return and when I just gave up. I'd clear what I thought was 99% of the herpes from my tank and a week later it looked like this again...horrible horrible stuff....

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Plants have easily doubled in mass. The stems that I laid down have put down roots and new growth has turned upwards. I left the portions growing upwards and removed the portion laying on its side and placed it into my emersed container.
The Hydrocotyle is maybe 3 times larger??
Lastly the moss has tripled. Almost the entire spillway has been filled. I went from not having enough moss to 3 containers filled waiting for me to set up the other HOB's.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
The biggest problem I've had was the roots getting out of control and blocking flow. I had to use a knife to cut this out:

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode