Ideas on how to make it fit? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ideas on how to make it fit?

Hey all - I bought a perfecto glass canopy for my 55 g (the one that is two panes). With the backstrip it is literally about 1/8 of an inch too wide. The glass sits on the edge of my tank instead of on the rim ledge. I suck at cutting a straight line on anything LOL - any tips on how to trim the back strip without wrecking it or making it all uneven?

Thanks in advance!
Gwen

“Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
― Marthe Troly-Curtin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 07:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have the same problem, and this is what I did for my greenhouse paneling lids. Get a straight edge, ideally at least the length of the material. I used one of those L-square ruler things. Then use 2 clamps. If you don't have any, the cheap dewalt ones at home depot are like $5 each. Clamp the straight edge to the piece you want to cut and run a razor blade over it. This gave me a remarkably straight cut, coming from someone who tends to make a smooth arch lol.

Here is a picture to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180108_153315_1515443698382.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	817554  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-09-2018 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 07:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'll guess that your tank is not a Perfecto/Marineland tank which is why the glass lid does not fit properly on the tank trim.

I'd return it and check the Aqueon glass canopy dimensions and see if that will fit your tank.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
It's very hard to cut a piece off that small without doing damage to the rest of it. Too small to cut, too much to grind.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlindescent View Post
I have the same problem, and this is what I did for my greenhouse paneling lids. Get a straight edge, ideally at least the length of the material. I used one of those L-square ruler things. Then use 2 clamps. If you don't have any, the cheap dewalt ones at home depot are like $5 each. Clamp the straight edge to the piece you want to cut and run a razor blade over it. This gave me a remarkably straight cut, coming from someone who tends to make a smooth arch lol.

Here is a picture to help.
That would work!!! Thanks! The material cut pretty easy with scissors on the one end I had to trim for the filter runs (canister filter), so I am betting that an exacto/really sharp knife would work with the straight edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
I'll guess that your tank is not a Perfecto/Marineland tank which is why the glass lid does not fit properly on the tank trim.

I'd return it and check the Aqueon glass canopy dimensions and see if that will fit your tank.
I bought the tank used and have no idea of the brand, but returning it is not an option as I already trimmed one end for the pipes. It's not a huge deal, but I would like it to fit a wee bit more snug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
It's very hard to cut a piece off that small without doing damage to the rest of it. Too small to cut, too much to grind.
Yeah, I'm worried about cutting just too much. It fits perfectly otherwise. I had measured it before I ordered and the measurements matched...not sure why it's just the smidge off.

― Marthe Troly-Curtin
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
use a straightedge and a razor blade

no big deal if it's not perfect though... not like you'll be able to see it
NBGwen and NBGwen like this.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

I had a similar problem. I "solved" it by not doing anything and letting the glass rest on the top rim of the tank. Things don't look quite a neat but this makes it very easy to open the top for feeding or for working on the tank.
NBGwen and NBGwen like this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I had a similar problem. I "solved" it by not doing anything and letting the glass rest on the top rim of the tank. Things don't look quite a neat but this makes it very easy to open the top for feeding or for working on the tank.
That's actually what I'm doing right now I did order handles for the lid though, so when they come I may try to cut it. I'd love for it to be flush. It's such a small difference!

― Marthe Troly-Curtin
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post

You would think that the glass top of a certain brand would fit aquariums of same brand, but that's not always the case. I had bought a few 55's at different times when Petco had their $1/gallon sales, all Aqueon, and bought their brand of glass tops for them, which worked fine for the first one I finally set up. Then I dragged another one out of storage to transfer/move the setup, and just swapped everything into the new tank. Easy as pie, right? Well, I soon discovered that the tops that fit so well on the first tank were too wide to fit within the frame of the new aquarium! Same brand on all components, but the raised part on the cross brace on the second tank is a fraction of an inch wider than the one on the first tank. So now the glass tops sit at an angle (on top of the center brace) and I have to be careful so that the outside ends don't slip off the ledge and fall into the water. I can take a grinder to it and fix it, but I'm not sure which of the other two 55's—if either—has the thinner cross piece, and if I trim it, will it be too small for the other tanks? I'll be needing more tops as I set the tanks up, and who knows what size the new tops will be? It's not a big problem in the grand scheme of things, but it's frustrating to buy the right thing from a company and then it doesn't fit correctly. Since experiencing problems with very poor quality on some of their other products, I have sworn off of buying any of their products except for glass (tanks and tops), and now I find the quality control on even those is lacking! Grrrrr!

Olskule

"May the Fish be with you."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
A few years back, PetCo changed their sale tanks from Aqueon to Tetra for maybe 3 or 4 of the sales before going back to the Aqueon tanks. I had a similar issue with the glass top for the 40B and found that the Perfecto/Marineland tops fit the Tetra tanks and the Versa tops fit the Aqueon tanks. Fortunately, my LFS had the Perfecto top I needed.

Maybe the tank you had in storage was bought during the Tetra sales?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No, they all had Aqueon stickers on them, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Aqueon factory ran short of their usual supply of frames back when Petco was having those sales every other month, and had to get some from a different source in a hurry to meet the demand for Petco's order. That would account for the difference.

Olskule

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Unfortunately none of my local shops have anything even remotely close to what I needed so I have to measure and buy online and hope. The measurements matched, but unfortunately it was off. I wish we had a great store around here, but they never seem to last.

― Marthe Troly-Curtin
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wish I could tell you which brands will work with which other brands, which are too short or too long for which brands, but I don't know. Heck, like I mentioned above, I bought two of the same brand of aquariums that have two different frames on two otherwise identical 55's, and their own brand of tops don't fit one of them, so who knows? Even trying to get an exact measurement from someone over the phone isn't garaunteed, because some people place the hook of a tape measure on the end and read it (the carpenter's method) and some place the 1 inch mark at the end, take the measurement and subtract the inch (the accurate, woodworking method), and it makes a difference. And then, of course, there's a good chance these days that the other person can't actually read measurements at all!

Good luck, Gwen, 'cause I don't have a clue what to tell you!

Olskule

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

LOL Thanks @Olskule I feel like half the time I'm stumbling through this hobby/addiction and half the time I actually know what I'm doing. I managed to get the handles that go with the glass top so I'm just going to try to trim it as carefully as I can (when I do do it). I find it irritating having it just a bit on the lip instead of flush in the rim.

― Marthe Troly-Curtin
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

At least you're just having to deal with plastic that needs to be cut; my problem is that the glass is too long, so it's either buy new tops and hope they fit or grind 1/8" off the ends of these.

But in reading your original post again, are you sure the plastic is not meant to sit on top of the frame at the back? I recall having some that worked that way, although, admittedly, those were on the old style plastic hoods. But yours might work that way without having to cut them.

Olskule

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode