Replacing stand for 180 g planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Replacing stand for 180 g planted tank

Hey all.

I am replacing my 180 gallon aquarium stand in a couple weeks. In order to move the aquarium, I have to drain the water. I am of course just moving my filters out (FX6 fluval and Aqueon wet/dry sump) and keeping the bio filtration submerged. I will be cleaning all my plumbing and pumps and re-positioning the CO2 and other gear. Do I need to keep roughly 90 gallons of existing water and use 90 gallons of RODI water? I am not washing the substrate as I use eco complete and am not really wanting to move most of the plants. Or can I do a complete water change of RODI and prime treated tap? Any input would be great. My old canopy is falling apart and my stand is a little bowed in the front...so time for a new one. Thank you all!!!

Lucas H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can use new water or old water, if you can get a hold of two 45 gallon rubbermaid totes, there you go, 90 gallons of old water, and then replace 90 gallons with new water. In the end it will be like doing a 50% water change. I did my 65 gallon that way.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Algae Grower

I would do whatever is easier. A 95% water change shouldn't hurt anything as long as your biological filters are good. I usually set up new tanks by running the new filter on an old tank for a couple months, and then filling up the new tank with new water and the seeded filter.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Agree with above. Using all new water should be fine, as long as filters and substrate are not out for too long.

Either way, I would expect a slight mini cycle, just from the disturbance. The last time I moved my tank, I had a few days of .25 to .50 ammonia readings, then right back down to zero.

I would be testing, as if it got much higher, I would have been doing some partial water changes until the bio field was back up to full speed.

Good luck, should be a busy day.

---
---
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. That day is gonna suck for sure. What started out as a lite hobby has turned into a mistress for sure. But I love it!

Lucas H.
180 gallon freshwater planted
Fluval FX6, Wet/Dry w/CS100 and Sicce Syncra 3.0 return. CO2 injection.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode