Increase oxygen content without degassing carbon dioxide - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Increase oxygen content without degassing carbon dioxide

I have understood that supplying enough oxygen to keep up with the biological oxygen demand and respiration of fish while injecting high rates of CO2 is critical to the overall health of the tank and personally observed in my tank that as I increased means of surface agitation while increasing Co2 injection rates, algae density went down to unnoticeable levels and stayed there. But due to injecting higher levels of CO2 in the tank, I noticed that my usually active rasboras had become sluggish and lost some appetite. I dialed down the CO2 and saw immediate improvement in their behavior but my growth slowed down, no pearling and some algae started developing on glass/lower leaves. I probably went below the sweet spot where plant and fish health meet. This whole exercise made me realize that the balance can be precarious and is delicate.
So is there a way to get oxygen inside the tank without gassing off CO2? Airstones are ugly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm not a high-tech guy, but I've only heard one way to maintain high levels of both CO2 and oxygen. You do the usual things to boost oxygen (surface agitation, airstone, etc) and bump your CO2 injection to compensate for the additional loss.

What filtration are you using? Since you don't like the look of an airstone you could drop it into the back of your HOB if you have one. For a canister, I read one forum member injects CO2 into the canister inlet so the filter floss catches the micro-bubbles. You could probably do the same with air.

For what it's worth, Cory of Aquarium Co-op did tests with a dissolved oxygen meter and found airstones to be by far the best means of oxygenating a tank.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I use a surface skimmer Lily pipe and it keeps the surface of the water downright glassy smooth, plus it sucks that top most oxygenated water down into the filter and blasts it back into the tank.
My rummy nose and Cardinals and oto Cate enjoy a bright yellow drop checker all day long with no problems as long as my filter stays clean with good flow!
I attribute this to the skimmer keeping very very high oxygen levels in the tank.
Tom Barr uses a sump and it has a skimmer as well, he attributes his high co2 levels to high o2 from that system.

I have only moderate surface ripple as I aim my outflow as low as I can to get the oxygenated water from the filter down into the water.
Kind of the opposite of most people since most filter inflows suck water in from the bottom of the tank, mine takes it from the surface.

Co2 is higher than had I no skimmer but not sure if that's because of co2 loss or just cause I can get away with more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode