Surface Film Caused By Lack of O2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Jeff5614's Avatar
 
PTrader: (52/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 3,604
Surface Film Caused By Lack of O2

I spend my sleepless late nights watching all the aquarium related stuff on youtube. Dave at ADU Aquascaping has a new post and says that surface film is from a lack of O2. Here's the vid.

Jeff5614 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
dcutl002's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Smithfield, Va.
Posts: 687
Interesting video. i just use a skimmer to remove the scum.
dcutl002 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:06 PM
Banned
 
PTrader: (73/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 5,942
I can't tell if he's guessing that it's caused by lack of o2 or does he have proof? He also said something about diffusers being beneficial because the mist actually touche the plant leaves, but he doesn't really get into any detail.

Kinda weird he went rimless with a nice light but has it on an old dresser with the ugly filter tubes. I guess to each their own.
houseofcards is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Jeff5614's Avatar
 
PTrader: (52/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 3,604
I was wondering about actual proof also or if increasing his surface agitation has kept it broken up and in the water column. I thought it was an interesting idea. It seems like ADA has always maintained it's the result of poor biological filtration.

I posted it as I was curious to hear other's thoughts, ideas, etc.
Jeff5614 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:16 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 78
I don't think he is saying surface film is caused by a lack of oxygen, he is saying the bacteria prefer the richer content of atmospheric oxygen as opposed to the lower concentration of oxygen in your aquarium and so they grow at the waters surface...Increasing water agitation just makes it difficult for those bacteria to colonize together. If you allow the bacteria to colonize at the surface you are cutting off the oxygen/CO2 exchange you would normally get from the atmosphere. Creating an unstable environment in your aquarium. I think he presented that material very ineffectively and is trying to complicate things.
PoPoBTC is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 4,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
I can't tell if he's guessing that it's caused by lack of o2 or does he have proof? He also said something about diffusers being beneficial because the mist actually touche the plant leaves, but he doesn't really get into any detail.
I think it was George Farmer also mentioned that micro bubbles are good even though they might not be attractive but because they will attach to the leaves and the plants can/will absorb the CO2 directly that way. Not sure if there's "science" that proves that or if it's just "bro-science" but it's been said by him and Dave and I think I've seen it elsewhere too.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nubster is online now  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Banned
 
PTrader: (73/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I think it was George Farmer also mentioned that micro bubbles are good even though they might not be attractive but because they will attach to the leaves and the plants can/will absorb the CO2 directly that way. Not sure if there's "science" that proves that or if it's just "bro-science" but it's been said by him and Dave and I think I've seen it elsewhere too.
Yeah I think your right. I also know Tom Barr said it as well in one form or another, but didn't go into further. That's way the jury is still out with regards to efficiency via reactor compared to diffuser. It's not necessarily black and white. As you probably know ADA only sells diffusers and uses just one on their 6 foot tanks.
houseofcards is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
Jeff5614's Avatar
 
PTrader: (52/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 3,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Yeah I think your right. I also know Tom Barr said it as well in one form or another, but didn't go into further. That's way the jury is still out with regards to efficiency via reactor compared to diffuser. It's not necessarily black and white. As you probably know ADA only sells diffusers and uses just one on their 6 foot tanks.
I go back and forth with my own tank. I'll use a reactor for a while because there are no tiny bubbles flying around. Then I'll switch to an inline diffuser for a few months, get tired of the bubbles and go back to a reactor, repeat.... I like the diffuser because it's pretty much independent of the filter, doesn't affect flow rates and isn't affected by flow rates as much. I also think I don't have to be as concerned with my dissolved CO2 level so much with all of those tiny bubbles getting stuck on the leaves and I think lower dissolved CO2 is easier on the fish, but then I wonder if the mist attaches to the fish's gills. I also think the tiny bubbles make for clearer water because the little bubbles act as a flocculant and remove any particles that might be too small for the filter. Then I wonder if I think too much .

I think I'm going back to a diffuser tomorrow.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPoBTC View Post
I don't think he is saying surface film is caused by a lack of oxygen, he is saying the bacteria prefer the richer content of atmospheric oxygen as opposed to the lower concentration of oxygen in your aquarium and so they grow at the waters surface...Increasing water agitation just makes it difficult for those bacteria to colonize together. If you allow the bacteria to colonize at the surface you are cutting off the oxygen/CO2 exchange you would normally get from the atmosphere. Creating an unstable environment in your aquarium. I think he presented that material very ineffectively and is trying to complicate things.
That is what he's saying, but I need more information before buying into it.
Jeff5614 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:11 PM
Dwarf Fish Lover
 
huhu89151734's Avatar
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay Area,CA
Posts: 464
Originally it was Amano who said it, and we were laughing on the forum saying he said it cuz He wants to promote his diffuser. And I vote and use a diffuser.

器材党
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
huhu89151734 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 4,384
You won't get the film as long as you have surface agitation from your filter output. Or use a skimmer. Unless there's overwhelming evidence that an in tank diffuser is MUCH MUCH better...I'll probably be using a reactor on my new tank because who wants to sit there looking at a tank full of Sprite?

***Guess I pretty much repeated what he said in the video...I watched after I posted...lol***


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nubster is online now  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Banned
 
PTrader: (73/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 5,942
I think you guys are drinking to many soft drinks or using way too much co2. I usually don't get this uncola effect. LOL
houseofcards is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome