Snails...snails everywhere... - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
Yeah, puffers sometimes just hunt stuff for the fun of it so I wouldn't put it in a tank with shrimp or any snails you want to keep alive. You can always rehome the pond snail you want to live while you treat your 55g though. The only problem with using something like a puffer is then you have a puffer you need to deal with (unless you really want a puffer). The best solution is to starting feeding less in your 55g (get an autofeeder) and combine that with manually removing snails. If you can get the mature snails then you shouldn't have any more eggs and then you just need to keep removing the juveniles as they hatch. It's not the quickest solution but over time the population should decrease.
Yeah that's pretty much what I have been doing. Just a huge pain in the butt

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

“Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
― Marthe Troly-Curtin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBGwen View Post
Yeah that's pretty much what I have been doing. Just a huge pain in the butt

Do a combination of traps and turkey baster removal. Also pond snails can reproduce asexually so your favorite snail will continue to produce more.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
Do a combination of traps and turkey baster removal. Also pond snails can reproduce asexually so your favorite snail will continue to produce more.
Oh...no Mr Snail isn't a pond snail - apple/mystery snail. They need both sexes to reproduce. The pond snails came in on plants

― Marthe Troly-Curtin

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Why do you care about the snails? Pond snails are largely harmless.
I'd also suggest assassin snails. They're unlikely to go after your big snail, and, yes, they breed pretty slowly. You start with 5, you'll have maybe 10 in a year. They burrow, also, you don't see them much, and they're kinda pretty.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Why do you care about the snails? Pond snails are largely harmless.
I'd also suggest assassin snails. They're unlikely to go after your big snail, and, yes, they breed pretty slowly. You start with 5, you'll have maybe 10 in a year. They burrow, also, you don't see them much, and they're kinda pretty.
They get into everything...filters are the big issue. They are adorable but breed insanely fast. I'm tired of constantly cleaning them out. Assassins sound like a decent fix

The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

― Marthe Troly-Curtin
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
So...i have a 55 gallon that I keep culling pond snails out of. I have a 5.5 gallon that I put them in (cause I don't have the heart to kill them...yet). No matter how often I clean out the 55 g more and more snails pop up. I've scrubbed the stuff I can, I've done huge water changes, I've tried the lettuce trick. NOTHING IS STOPPING THEM!!! I have a pond snail that I love so I can't put in anything that would hurt him. HELP!!! A description of what's in the tank is in my signature. It's quite planted.

Put an Assassin snail

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
They get into everything...filters are the big issue. They are adorable but breed insanely fast. I'm tired of constantly cleaning them out. Assassins sound like a decent fix

My understanding is that Assassins will also get your mystery snail. I'm sure other people have had better experiences there, but I wouldn't risk it as I've known people to lose mystery and apple snails to them as well. If you WANT to keep the mystery snail, I wouldn't do assassins.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooshface View Post
My understanding is that Assassins will also get your mystery snail. I'm sure other people have had better experiences there, but I wouldn't risk it as I've known people to lose mystery and apple snails to them as well. If you WANT to keep the mystery snail, I wouldn't do assassins.
I had read this exact thing...rhat the assassins will gang up on him. I'm debating moving that one to my 9 g and then getting assassins but I also have ghost shrimp. I woke up to at least a dozen that were visible this morning. I keep trying to manually clear them out but it's been months.

― Marthe Troly-Curtin
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 03:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
I had read this exact thing...rhat the assassins will gang up on him. I'm debating moving that one to my 9 g and then getting assassins but I also have ghost shrimp. I woke up to at least a dozen that were visible this morning. I keep trying to manually clear them out but it's been months.

Assassin's will not hurt your shrimp. I like your idea of moving the mystery snail to another tank while the assassin's go to work, better to err on the side of caution.

That new setup, what's the substrate? You said you hadn't cycled that tank, but that substrate looks kinda like ADA which will leach ammonia REAL bad for the first few weeks and more than likely kill everything in the tank...If it's not ADA and is an inert substrate, disregard
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
Assassin's will not hurt your shrimp. I like your idea of moving the mystery snail to another tank while the assassin's go to work, better to err on the side of caution.

That new setup, what's the substrate? You said you hadn't cycled that tank, but that substrate looks kinda like ADA which will leach ammonia REAL bad for the first few weeks and more than likely kill everything in the tank...If it's not ADA and is an inert substrate, disregard
It's fluval plant and shrimp stratum. I've added 3 days of nutrifin cycle and have been checking the water quality. The 3 ghost shrimp and betta in there are pretty happy I've been trying to get a pic of the irredescence on Starburst but it's hard to get him to 'pose'.

As for the 55 g i think that's what I will have to do. Move Mr Snail to the 9 g and add assassins. Ugh. I feel bad cause he has so much room. Him and my other betta have been together from day 1 but it has to happen.

― Marthe Troly-Curtin
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:14 PM
Algae Grower

I agree with @JusticeBeaver I had the same problem not too long ago and I think I have solved my problem. Overfeeding was my issue, I cut down on the feeding but would intentionally leave food for the snails in the corner of the tank and I would scoop them out and move them to a different tank. I do have a few snails still but they are rare now which is what I want.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 12:29 AM
Algae Grower

Try a few yoyo loaches if your tank can handle them. I had a horrible infestation of pond snails and put 3 in my tank. Within a few weeks all the pond snails were gone and they leave my bigger snails alone.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPoBTC View Post
I agree with @JusticeBeaver I had the same problem not too long ago and I think I have solved my problem. Overfeeding was my issue, I cut down on the feeding but would intentionally leave food for the snails in the corner of the tank and I would scoop them out and move them to a different tank. I do have a few snails still but they are rare now which is what I want.
I've tried this for a while now...today broke me when I found them in the bottom of my external filter. I moved Mr Snail and ordered assassins today.
@Green Amy I have thought about loaches before but my 55g is stocked pretty full. I think assassins would be better.

― Marthe Troly-Curtin
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 01:35 AM

I had the same problem for months. I got yo-yo loaches and they decimated the snail population. However. Once those mts’s were gone, they went after my mystery snails and killed them all

Lucas H.
180 gallon freshwater planted
Fluval FX6, Wet/Dry w/CS100 and Sicce Syncra 3.0 return. CO2 injection.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
So do assassins reproduce a lot or no? I'm down for that as long as they don't eat my mystery snail.

I had a MAJOR infestation of rams-horn snails myself and tried traps and manually picking them off and it didn't even put a dent into their population.
The only thing that worked was assassin snails. The bottom of my tank is literally littered with the shells of their victims and a lot of my more snail-sensitive plants have been doing exceptionally well since the addition of said assassin snails.

As long as your mystery snail is larger than the assassin snails you should have nothing to worry about. I have two nerites and they coexist with my 3 assassins peacefully.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode