Am I wrong on tank size? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Am I wrong on tank size?

I am looking at used tank and the guy is trying to tell me its 45 gallons. but when I do the math it 38 US gallons. am i wrong?

Its 30X12X24...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 03:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Your right, a 45 is 36" instead of 30".
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
+1 for ckarr,

Give or take about 40 gallons; at 24" depth it would be difficult to get good light intensity at the substrate level. I know, I have a 45 tall (36X12X24)!

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
that tank is 37.08 gallons. (aka a 40 gallon)

I was once reading through a local swap and shop book and some one listed a 75g with a leopard gecko for $25, I thought what a steal, of course when I got there it was a 20 long... still a good deal but some people just dont know what they have. especially when they buy second hand people often don't bother to verify what it is in size. the people insisted that it was a 75g even after I explained how to figure the gallonage. I told them to google the dimensions..

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkprZ View Post
that tank is 37.08 gallons. (aka a 40 gallon)
Not trying to sound harsh but it's not "aka as a 40", 37's and 38's are made. I thought Marineland made then, I'm pretty sure they did as Perfecto but they aren't listed now, but Aqueon still does.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
at 24" depth it would be difficult to get good light intensity at the substrate level
A couple of T5HO lights will get plenty of light down there. Regular flourescents just don't have the intensity to penetrate that deep easily. I run 2x T5HO on my 65 gal (24" tall) and have no issues growing things like DHG or microsword.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Roy, I also have one of those. I call it my 1-2-3-45 tank: 1' x 2' x 3' = 45 gallons.
I have carnivorous plants in it. Easy to light when there is air instead of water!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarr View Post
Not trying to sound harsh but it's not "aka as a 40", 37's and 38's are made. I thought Marineland made then, I'm pretty sure they did as Perfecto but they aren't listed now, but Aqueon still does.
yeah it all depends who you get it from some are listed as 30 gallons and only 26 others are listed as 55's and only hold 50. some are actually listed as what they are, unusual as that may be..... LOL

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode