Best place to buy true aquatic plants online, and advise on plants /ferts - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By StrungOut
  • 2 Post By oscarlloydjohn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best place to buy true aquatic plants online, and advise on plants /ferts

For starters I have a low tech tank, right now I just have anubias that are growing like crazy every other day I have new growth, and I have one Amazon sword I saved it had one leaf now it has a dozen + and is growing great and I have a flame leaf sword that doesn't grow like I would think it would I have to trim leaves weekly due to them becoming transparent and dying (dont know what's causing this), I just want to get some bronze crypts for color and for midground or even foreground, and some tall plants for the background probably wisteria but I've heard that it's a nightmare and not very appealing (advice for a tall growing background plant would be awesome) and some type of Fancy fern (thin leaf) to attach to driftwood and maybe some moss.

Light is an elive 48" with 26 pods runs about 12-16 par at the substrate(might add 2 HO whites to push the light deeper)
55 gallon all rainbows
serpae tetras and neon tetras(don't like how bright the light is) they hide in the shaded areas
Kh 6
Gh 6
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20-25 nitrate
Ph 7.4
Phosphate 1.1-1.3
Temp 78

Right now I just dose excel 2x weekly and flourish comprehensive 1x weekly when I do my 30% pwc, I do have flourish root tabs for the flame leaf and amazon, I want to switch to thrive but I haven't gotten a solid answer to what I need as far as if I need micros and macros or just one or the other.

Much appriciated

Clearer pictures of the ones I posted
Rearranged https://imgur.com/gallery/7ZytD

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You need both Macros and Micros. Green leaf aquariums has EI dosing fertilizers and PPS if you so desire.
EI Dosing: https://barrreport.com/threads/the-e...-test-kits.52/
EI Dosing Guide: Estimative Index Dosing Guide - Fertilizing - Aquatic Plant Central

I have bought plants at: aquarium plants dot com, flea bay, ama zon, etc. with no troubles.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutl002 View Post
You need both Macros and Micros. Green leaf aquariums has EI dosing fertilizers and PPS if you so desire.
EI Dosing: https://barrreport.com/threads/the-e...-test-kits.52/
EI Dosing Guide: Estimative Index Dosing Guide - Fertilizing - Aquatic Plant Central

I have bought plants at: aquarium plants dot com, flea bay, ama zon, etc. with no troubles.
Okay thank you much appreciated, reason I asked if I needed both is because my nitrate is 20-25 and I only dose flourish comprehensive 1x a week at 3ml

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
I have found Thrive to be great for my low tech tank. It is available through some LFS's and through Colin at Aquarium Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics

Most of my plants I have got from here

I was fortunate to receive two packets of plants due to RAOK's and one packet to a trade, even received one plant as a gift, as it was one I had been looking for and the gentleman had plenty, all I had to do was pay postage.

Look at Forums (top left on this page) / Members Forums / For Sale/Trade/ RAOK/WTB

There are members on here that have lists of plants for sale as long as your arm (probably longer than mine) and their prices are MUCH cheaper than anywhere else I have seen.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
In order to promote this site itself, with no other sites getting promoted
swap and shop here
for sale/trade section is the best place
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
In order to promote this site itself, with no other sites getting promoted
swap and shop here
for sale/trade section is the best place
I'm On mobile so I didn't see that section, I will have to look at that thread for sure do people sell ferts on here as well?

Edit, what would be a good background low light low tech plant I was advised wisteria but many have said they would go with something different.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tluck View Post
I'm On mobile so I didn't see that section, I will have to look at that thread for sure do people sell ferts on here as well?

Edit, what would be a good background low light low tech plant I was advised wisteria but many have said they would go with something different.

yeah you can only see it through a computer i think

as far as background low light i'd suggest vallisneria, wisteria like u said, limnophila aromatica, amazon sword (more of a centerpiece though), cambomba green, anacharis are just at the top of my head
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
as far as background low light i'd suggest vallisneria, wisteria like u said, limnophila aromatica, amazon sword (more of a centerpiece though), cambomba green, anacharis are just at the top of my head
Apparently vallisneria doesn't do well with excel. I really wanted it in my tank but I found that most people had it die on them when using excel
StrungOut and StrungOut like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlloydjohn View Post
Apparently vallisneria doesn't do well with excel. I really wanted it in my tank but I found that most people had it die on them when using excel
Start with a lower dose.. maybe half and work your way up. I was dosing 15ml of metricide daily in my 75 gallon and was pulling out vals on a weekly basis. They grew like weeds literally
I buy my ferts from GLA and most of my plants here on the for sale forums. You wont find prices like that at any retailer and they are from enthusiasts personal tanks.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode