Expiration date of water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Expiration date of water?

Hello planted-tank experts,

My weekly water change routine goes like this: I make 30L of RO-water, put 30L of tap water in buckets the night before. The day of the water change I mix it in two big 30L buckets with a small circulation pump. I add a heater to each of the buckets.
This takes a lot of time walking around with buckets.

I'll be away from home more in the future and my girlfriend/a friend will take care of the fish so I want to make it more easy for them by mixing the two sometime beforehand. I'll buy a big container (black plastic) people use as a rain barrel with a small heater and a pump. That way you can just take out 60L of water out of the aquarium, get the hose from the big container, start the pump and be done with it. That way I can prepare everything and it doesn't demand to much of them to take care of the fish.

I know you can keep RO-water for a very very long time but what's the expiration date of tap water? That way I know the max size of container I can get and the max time I can be away from home without the tank being an annoyance to my friends and family..

Kind regards,
Reinhout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhout View Post
Hello planted-tank experts,

My weekly water change routine goes like this: I make 30L of RO-water, put 30L of tap water in buckets the night before. The day of the water change I mix it in two big 30L buckets with a small circulation pump. I add a heater to each of the buckets.
This takes a lot of time walking around with buckets.

I'll be away from home more in the future and my girlfriend/a friend will take care of the fish so I want to make it more easy for them by mixing the two sometime beforehand. I'll buy a big container (black plastic) people use as a rain barrel with a small heater and a pump. That way you can just take out 60L of water out of the aquarium, get the hose from the big container, start the pump and be done with it. That way I can prepare everything and it doesn't demand to much of them to take care of the fish.

I know you can keep RO-water for a very very long time but what's the expiration date of tap water? That way I know the max size of container I can get and the max time I can be away from home without the tank being an annoyance to my friends and family..

Kind regards,
Reinhout

I don't have a scientifically accurate tap water expiration date, but I would mix a 50/50 RO/tap and leave it in a sealed bucket for 2 weeks or so, got me 2 water changes worth.

I would keep it in a dark place, covered to ensure nothing gets into the water.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There will be no set time as there are so many variables involved. We often think of chlorine treatment as killing all the bacteria in tap water but this is not true. So part of the question is how much bacteria is left after chlorine treatment and how quickly that bacteria reproduces. One reason to keep drinking water in the frig is to slow the bacteria growth. How much bacteria enters while stored?
But with that in mind, I also find that it pays to keep a bubbler or some form of water movement going to keep the water fresher during storage and I do often go two weeks without problems. I use a 50 gallon plastic food grade barrel and pump to the tank. But I also find the first bit of water that is setting in the tubing, running down from water surface to pump will often smell really bad when first run. It is not water I would want to use for a total water change as it is full of "something" that I don't want in my tanks.
Rather than rain barrels, it might be worthwhile to do a search for food grade barrels as I find they are used in tons of things we don't think of and that leaves many of them surplus. Steak sauce to flavorings for cookies all may come out of barrels.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you leave the circulation pump, just for a bit of movement/aeration in then I would say weeks/months/probably longer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode