• 2 Post By Nubster
  • 8 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cost of starting aquarium with plants?

Hello, new here.

I have a fish aquarium that I want to turn into aquarium will lots of plants. How much would I need as far as money goes? From what I see on yahoo images on planted aquarium, they are very beautiful and look very expensive.

I already have some equipment that I can re-use.

I have three lights strip already they varies in sizes, I think they are Current Satellite.
Some rocks decorations.
(4) SunSun 302 Canister 264GPH each
(1) SunSun 304b Canister 525GPH with UV light
(1) AquaClear 110 Hang On Filter 500GPH

The aquarium I have now is full of "playsand".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
The BEST way to obtain plants is to look at what is available here in the Forums / Members Forums / For Sale trade.

I have got some of the best plants I have ever seen for pennies on the dollar as opposed to what you may see in the local stores.

So while if you go to the stores it can be expensive here at least you are more or less guaranteed to get what you are told you will get.

Keep us posted as to your progress.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Depends on the size of the tank and how planted you want it from day one. You can spend little or hundreds. Many people grab trimmings from members here and let things grow in over time. If you have the funds, you can buy plant packages that will get you nearly fully planted from day one.

You have the lights covered.

You'll also need fertilizer. Prices vary. On the more expensive side are ready made liquids like the Seachem products, Thrive, stuff from Aquarium Co-Op, ect. You can save a lot of money of the long term getting dry ferts and either dry dosing the tank or making your own liquids. Pre-made is definitely easier and takes a lot of the work out of making your own dosing. But that comes at the higher price.

If you dive into CO2...that's a whole other expense...again, depending on the tank size or how high-end you want to go...figure $150 - $200 minimum entry for a CO2 setup new. Used might get you a decent deal.

Many people also opt for the pricey plant substrates like ADA, Tropica, Stratum, ect. That can add significant cost depending on the tank. Dirted tanks are much cheaper but have some headaches that go along with them. Inert substrates are generally pretty cheap but may not yield optimal results.
PoPoBTC and PoPoBTC like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
For the price, go low and slow and then add as you get a feel for what it takes as you want to move higher. Don't expect immediate success and money is not the whole question. It takes study and experience. The one way to go at that will little money and still getting enough success to make you want more is going slow. Look to plants that are considered easy and cheap. Form there much depends on how well you shop and where you live for what is available. If you are in a college town, you can often pick things up very easy and free as folks moving find they don't have room for it all. Look at Craigslist near end of the month for free stuff?
Don't get too excited and feel you need the best in any area until you get to know what is best. Stick with the play sand, add some Java fern or Java moss, some swords and learn what it takes to keep them happy. You can always go later but for now, one could do a thirty gallon for starters for around twenty dollars. But that is not the show tanks you mention, just a place to start. Learn to pick up rocks and wood when you take a hike. Learn what is good and not and it can save a ton of money on store purchases. No CO2 for starters and it is not needed for starting plants.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok awsome thanks for replying back. I will start with easy growing plants and learn from there. Maybe a moss tank for now. I dont know how that play out with my stone setup but first have to try and see.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyJ View Post
Ok awsome thanks for replying back. I will start with easy growing plants and learn from there. Maybe a moss tank for now. I dont know how that play out with my stone setup but first have to try and see.
Sorry I missed this earlier but the mention of stone always gets my attention as I use lots of it as décor and for the function it serves for the fish. But I don't always like the look of a bunch of limestone, so I often cover it with Java fern. For a good starter plant, don't miss trying some Java fern as I find it is one that works very handy and does grow right on rocks!
When Java has been in a tank for some time, it begins to send out new plants that grow on the ends of old leaves and eventually break off to float and spread the plant. So if one gets around a tank with old Java, it is often easy to get a start. Sometimes just the mention of wanting it is enough to get folks to dip in a snip or break off a leaf or two! I've never actually had to buy it!
Once you have a start, I find the bit of leaf left is a good "handle" to use to glue it to rocks. When not sure where I will want it, I just use a small rock as a portable plant holder.
I wet the rock as super glue does a chemical reaction with moisture instead of drying like lots of glue does. The moisture on your finger is enough so use the smallest amount of glue possible to avoid a big white blob showing, then carefully press the leaf into the glue for a second or two. If you get lots of tiny starts lined up and ready, you can press the plants in the glue and cover a pretty big rock really quickly. Just don't forget, you can also wind up glued to the rock!!

As soon as you finish, the glue will probably be ready to go in the tank. With luck and the right conditions, the Java will fill in and build a pile and nobody will see the rock, just a nice big pile of plants. You can double the tank function as it can let the fish live under the rock and plants grow on top.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 02:53 AM
Dwarf Fish Lover

PTrader: (19/100%)
I agree with go slow, and add stuff as you go. But I would really really really suggest you to buy co2 system first. That helps you big time with algae control, where it is most challenging, and get most of beginners discouraged and leave this hobby.

器材党
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 03:56 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhu89151734 View Post
I agree with go slow, and add stuff as you go. But I would really really really suggest you to buy co2 system first. That helps you big time with algae control, where it is most challenging, and get most of beginners discouraged and leave this hobby.
I was the complete opposite of what everyone is saying....

Months after setting up my planted tank I still do not have CO2, using plain ol' gravel from Wal-Mart, a SunSun water sterilizer, a basic hob 60 gallon filter on a 55 gallon tank that overflows to a 5 gallon tank with lava rock then overflows to a 10 gallon tank with more lava rock then pumped back into my 55 gallon.

All three tanks have EXPLOSIVE plant growth.

I don't use any fertilizer or additives.

I started with the bundle packs on Amazon and buying small plants at the local pet stores. Lots of plants died in the beginning but once I learned that certain plants thrive in different water parameters just as fish do I focused on what fit my water parameters and now I have a miniature jungle that is very hard to control.

I am still relatively new to the planet tank world but my advice is buy what you like and don't buy more than you want to upkeep.

When you have CO2 and multiple filters and lots of plants that comes with lots of Maintenance and dedicated time to the Hobby.

Most of the time my wife wants to kill me because of the time I spend per week "playing" with the fish tank.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode