Ordering plants in winter - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ordering plants in winter

Has anyone ever gotten plants in winter that live where it gets cold? January and February are the coldest months here (rarely gets above 5f) and I'm getting plants shipped next day air. I'm worried because ups doesn't usually come until about 7pm and they will likely be in the truck all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You might have better luck having them hold at location. I ordered some shrimp recently and there was a delay so the 72 hour heatpack ran out, and the water was about 45 degF. That was with air temp around 20 degF. Plants usually aren't even shipped insulated so you're even taking more of a chance.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I get SW corals shipped in the winter to Wy all the time. so FW plats should be a breeze.
I would contact seller have them insulate the box with the R12 sheet insulation then add news paper inside + a 72hr heat pack then hold for pick up at UPS. should be good to go!

if you dont mind me asking where are you ordering from?
plz do keep us posted on how it turns out!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im ordering from aquariumplants.com. i didnt read their shipping info and i ordered a $150 order 2 weeks ago and they have been closed for the holidays and wont ship until Jan 9 at the earliest. Kind of ticked off at myself for not reading the shipping info more carefully. But i need to cycle the tank anyhow.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would order from the folks on here long before ordering from a retailer. You will likely get healthier plants, pay less, and get them faster. I ordered 4 portion of vesicularia mini from herns and it was here 2 days later packaged amazingly well and its the nicest heathiest moss I have every seen. I got 4 times as much moss as I would have from a retailer.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:43 AM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Generally speaking most issues with cold weather delivery happen if the package is left out after delivery. It's usually fine in transit.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im actually looking for some Limnophila Aromatica. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I bought a regulator from alan le who was suggested on here and its really nice. Heavy duty dual stage.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-09-2018 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamB View Post
I bought a regulator from alan le who was suggested on here and its really nice. Heavy duty dual stage.
He built mine as well. Very solid. I would check Bartohog, Burr740, herns, Strungout... there are several guys on here that have tremendous selection.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamB View Post
He built mine as well. Very solid. I would check Bartohog, Burr740, herns, Strungout... there are several guys on here that have tremendous selection.
Ok thanks. I just messaged Bartohog. I see he had some florida sunset crypts too. Probably grab some if he still has them. Ugh. Why didnt I order all my plants from forum members. Now if i want to cancel they will charge me a 40% restocking fee. Their site says my order is "in processing" though they have been shut down for 3 weeks. Acting like they have my plants in some box in the warehouse waiting to get shipprd. Please. Lol. Can only blame myself though.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 04:17 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Just shipped some plants 1st class to North Dakota from New York. They got there in 2-days and got a message they were fine. It was zero degrees upon arrival in ND. Just confirming that almost all issues happen when plants are left out after delivery.

It also amazes me how this myth about priority mail continues. It is the same 1-3 days as 1st class. There is no difference in delivery time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode