Filter issues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Filter issues

My filter top gasket started leaking last night. I had to take it out of the system. I won't be able to get repair parts for at least several days. I have heavily planted (jungle) 92 gallon corner tank. The filter that has been disconnected is a Penn Plax Cascade 1500 (hate it!) I'm also running an Eheim 2215. I still have decent circulation in the tank. I also have a Cobalt Aquatics MJ1200 power head that operates through a surface skimmer and pumps through the Griggs reactor and 2 Hydor Koralia Nano 425's. I don't think I have a very large bioload. 4-Dennison Barbs, 2 Red and Blue Tetras, 4 head and tail lights, 6 neons, 5 otos a couple of Serpae tetras and a few Amano shrimp. It's been about 20 hours without the filter. Just tested and have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. I turned one of the HK425's toward the surface to provide some good ripple as the spray bar from the Cascade was the only surface agitation.
All my options for getting this back on line are for the middle of next week. Do you think I'll be ok until then? Should I get the Fluval 306 I have going and installed this weekend to help? I can certainly do daily ammonia test until I get back to full capacity. Thanks in advance for your experienced opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Kubla,

You should be fine, you have good good circulation and that will help keep the CO2 level in check. Probably my best advice would be not to overfeed which will generate extra wastes.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would also not expect too much trouble as there will be lots of bacteria scattered all around in other [places besides the filter that is down. And that bacteria will be pretty quick to jump up for any new work. We get the idea that it takes a long time for it to grow and it does when first starting but once small groups of each are all around, they can jump up much quicker.
Second thought might be to ask about the leak. Any chance of lubing an O-ring to make it seal better? If it is only leaking and not a broken part, I might give it a bit of petroleum jelly (Vasoline? ) Some question that as being petrol but it is a recommended action in some of the Eheim manuals and I have used it on lots of stuff in contact with water. Might wort or not but an easy thing to hope for a fix?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought from past readings on the forum. It's good to have the reassurance from some members I trust!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode