ammonia in new planted 5 gal nano tank ( & stocking questions) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ammonia in new planted 5 gal nano tank ( & stocking questions)

Hi everyone. Recently I set up a heavily planted Fluval Spec V 5 gallon nano tank, full of multiple java ferns, the beginning of a dwarf mini hairgrass carpet, anubias, and crypt wentii; all planted in fluval stratum (no fish or inverts in the tank as of right now). I dose the tank with the recommended amounts of API liquid co2 and fertilizer. I use a 25 watt cobalt heater. The first day i set up the tank, I sprinkled in a small amount of food flakes. It's been five days, and admittedly i'm anxious to get some inhabitants, so i tested the water with an API master water test kit. Ammonia is reading @ around 2.0-4.0 ppm; nothing I would ever introduce animals into. While I have done a large amount of preparation and tried my best to set up a beautiful and high-end healthy nano tank, I still consider myself to be more or less a beginner. How long should I expect to wait before my plants absorb harmful water chemistry? (am I wrong in believing the plants will absorb ammonia?) thanks!

on a separate note, I had a few questions about stocking.
I was interested in getting a handful of small shrimp for the aquarium (maybe 10?)... along with some pygmy rasbora? would those two work together well? if not, what else might be suitable? thank you for your time.

Tags
ammonia, nano tank, planted tank, plants, spec v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode